fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are you new to homeschooling? This one's for YOU!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HomeofLove4Him View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you new to homeschooling? This one's for YOU!
    Posted: 17/May/2016 at 11:22am
Hello all! Welcome! ClapClap

So, I thought we'd have a discussion specifically dedicated to those who are new to homeschooling! 

My name is Tasha and I'm the Moderator for Homeschool.com's forums. I'm in my 12th year of homeschooling (I started  counting with preschool). I don't want to lose sight of what it was like when I first began (I actually still remember what it was like that first year!) If you're new, I have some questions for YOU! Smile
  1. What are your biggest concerns about homeschooling? Are you worried that you're not "adequate" enough to do it?
  2. Are you feeling overwhelmed by all of the info out there available on the internet, at the library, etc.? If so, how are you overcoming this? 
  3. Why do you want to homeschool? Do your children currently attend a public school, or are you at the point of "OK, it's time for Kindergarten--do I homeschool or send them away?"
  4. What curriculum choices have you narrowed yourself down to as possibilities? (Or are you struggling to narrow it down in the first place?) 
  5. What homeschooling method/style appeals to you the most and why? 
  6. Do you have special needs that need addressing? (Don't forget we have a whole forum dedicated to Special Needs homeschooling!)
You don't have to answer all of my questions but if you'll answer at least some, we can give you some further direction and help! Big smileBig smile

Edited by HomeofLove4Him - 17/May/2016 at 12:37pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/May/2016 at 7:11am
Surely someone has some questions...? Remember, you don't have to answer all of them but if you'll answer what's pressing on your mind the most, we can help! Promise! Wink

~Tasha
dotconso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dotconso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Aug/2016 at 8:46am
Hello, I would like to homeschool my 8th grade daughter this year. I'm feeling very overwhelmed and concerned.   I would like to use a self directed program for her, but do not have any idea about any of them, and when reading reviews, they all have very mixed reviews. I was looking at time4learning and K-12, has anyone used either of them for the higher grade levels (not elementary)? I'm concerned because, what if I screw it up and cause her to be worse off, then she may go to public school for high school and be worse off. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Dorothy
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Aug/2016 at 1:18pm
Hi Dorothy! 

First, let me reassure you that I highly doubt you're going to screw her up in any way. :) I say that as a 13-year homeschooling veteran and as someone very familiar with unschooling, which means not using any curriculum whatsoever and taking a "life is learning" approach to education. If people can homeschool/unschool successfully, then surely you'll be fine using a curriculum. Also, consider how many kids in public schools simply go through the motions every day and really end up falling through the cracks. The good part about homeschooling is that you'll be there to see any cracks she might slip through and make sure that that doesn't happen. 

AFA Time4Learning and K12: I've used T4L for older grades (8th specifically) and was very impressed. I didn't care for some of the crude humor in the younger grades, but that's just me. I haven't ever used K12 because we don't do virtual charter schools in our family. Or, haven't ever as of yet and don't forsee having any interest in them. That's probably going to be the biggest difference between the two: T4L means you're actually homeschooling whereas K12 means your child is actually a public school student (unless you opt for the private option and choose to pay for it, but it's very expensive). 

If you're looking for self-directed learning, there are loads of options out there. DiscoveryK12, Easy Peasy Homeschooling, ACE PACEs, LifePacs, Monarch, Switched on Schoolhouse......the options are truly endless. Whether you're looking for Christian or non, online or workbooks, there are many choices available for those who wish to take a self-directed approach. 

Did you have any other questions? 

~Tasha
Mandyakadot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandyakadot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Aug/2016 at 10:24am
Hi! I have so many questions and don't even know where to start but I am grateful I found this forum and hope i can get some clarity here. I have a son who will be starting kindergarten and I know I want to home school but I have no idea how to start. I am from TX, and do you have to notify the state that you will be homeschooling or how does that work? Is there a website that I need to go to? Also, curriculum...I am easily overwhelmed and I don't even know where to begin. I do not like the idea of K12 because i want it to be more of a home school setting but I do want to follow a curriculum. Do you know of any curriculum that is best for early education students? Thank you so much! -Amanda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandyakadot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Aug/2016 at 10:27am
Also, i just looked up discoveryk12 and is it an online curriculum where he would be doing work on a computer? Or, do i print things out and we do activities that way? I am looking for a curriculum where we do fun learning activites and I teach him, but with a schedule. He is still to young to go on a computer and do work that way. I am a fan of learning through play. I looked up the different types of homeschooling and I feel like I am a mixture of Eclectic and Classic homeschooling. I am looking for a curriculum we follow but not one where will we have to be turning in work all day long. Thanks again!

Edited by Mandyakadot - 16/Aug/2016 at 10:43am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Aug/2016 at 3:18pm
Hi Mandy! 

Welcome to the world of homeschooling!! :)

As far as TX law goes, I found this for you from the Texas Unschoolers group:

"There are only three requirements to homeschool in Texas: The instruction must be bona fide (i.e., not a sham). The curriculum must be in visual form (e.g., books, workbooks, video monitor). The curriculum must include the five basic subjects of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship."

I hope that helps some. Here's where I found it: http://www.texasunschoolers.com/resources/texas-homeschool-laws Generally speaking, groups of unschoolers know the laws well. However, if you're looking for something from a more "official" group, HSLDA has this to say: 

The required subjects are: math, reading, spelling and grammar, and a course in good citizenship. Although science and history are not required by state law, any college your student applies to will require them for admittance, so you’ll want to make sure to teach those too.

The private school law as interpreted by the Texas Supreme Court requires that you use some form of written curriculum (online programs meet this requirement) and that you operate your homeschool in a “bona fide” manner.

That information was found here: http://hslda.org/hs101/TX.aspx

Now, as for curriculum choices: for Kindergarten, I personally like either ACE, ABeka, or Time4Learning. The first two are not online but the last one is. If you're looking for something that doesn't have him doing work that you check, you're only going to find that in an online program (or ACE as he gets older--the program is set up so that the children check their own schoolwork but not in Kindergarten). ACE is a Christian curriculum and we LOVE it, but some don't. You'll find that in any program. I feel that it adheres strongly to the Trivium, meaning it takes into consideration child development. 

On the other hand, if you're genuinely interested in Classical Education, then you may want to consider First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind, along with The Well Trained Mind book. You can look at samples online and see if that floats your boat. From what you have written, that sounds like it'll be the best option/most appealing to you. 

Let me know if I can help any further! :)

~Tasha

elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Aug/2016 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Mandyakadot Mandyakadot wrote:

Hi! I have so many questions and don't even know where to start but I am grateful I found this forum and hope i can get some clarity here. I have a son who will be starting kindergarten and I know I want to home school but I have no idea how to start. I am from TX, and do you have to notify the state that you will be homeschooling or how does that work? Is there a website that I need to go to? Also, curriculum...I am easily overwhelmed and I don't even know where to begin. I do not like the idea of K12 because i want it to be more of a home school setting but I do want to follow a curriculum. Do you know of any curriculum that is best for early education students? Thank you so much! -Amanda

I am also in Texas. :-)

Texas is a great state for homeschooling because there is NO accountability to the state. You never have to have any interaction with school officials, so, no, you do not have to notify anyone that you're going to homeschool.  In any case, compulsory school age is 6 by September 1, so you're in the clear this year. :-)

The only thing you need to do (and I use the word "need" very loosely) with a little 5yo person is something to teach reading, something to teach penmanship, and something to teach arithmetic.

I prefer materials that teach phonics, and there are many good ones; some of the favorites are the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, AlphaPhonics, Phonics Pathways, and Spalding and its lookalikes. All of them are good; you just need to pick one. Spalding and its lookalikes (All About Spelling, Spell to Write and Read, Logic of English, and a couple of others) also teach penmanship at the same time.

Arithmetic should be quite gentle at this age. Counting and number recognition and shapes and very simple adding and subtracting are pretty much what goes on, and that's easy to do in your every day life.

I cannot recommend one of the public charter schools that provide/require K12. Homeschooling is so free and easy in Texas that I don't know why anyone would volunteer for the amount of accountability required by the charter school.

Check out Texas Home Educators. There is a list of support groups in different parts of the state; perhaps there will be one near you.
dotconso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dotconso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Aug/2016 at 4:21am
Wow, thank you Tasha, I feel a lot more confident after reading your post.
My one other MAJOR concern for her is socializing. She is already VERY shy and introvert and I fear she will not do any socializing at all and will not keep up with the couple of friends she has. At least going to school, she has to be a little social?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandyakadot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Aug/2016 at 7:49pm
Thank you so much! I have heard mixed responses on whether or not I need to notify the school district we are assigned to so thank you for clarifying that! What I really am looking for is basically a schedule of what I should teach him, I'm pretty organized when it comes to everything lol and it's hard for me to just say lets do this one day and now this the next. I'm not a fan of having him on a computer, I actually want to teach him and I was looking for a curriculum that would just give me the schedule for the things he needs to learn but with me as his teacher. I haven't been able to find anything like that (maybe it doesn't exist..?) however, I have plenty of workbooks and have found lots of free worksheets, would it be best for me to just try and organize this myself and do say reading for a bit and then math and language arts, phonics and so on and so forth? I love learning through play but I also love having a organized format for the day. I guess I'm trying to find a happy medium. Thanks for your help again, I appreciate it!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Aug/2016 at 8:40pm

Thank you so much! I have heard mixed responses on whether or not I need to notify the school district we are assigned to so thank you for clarifying that! What I really am looking for is basically a schedule of what I should teach him, I'm pretty organized when it comes to everything lol and it's hard for me to just say lets do this one day and now this the next. I'm not a fan of having him on a computer, I actually want to teach him and I was looking for a curriculum that would just give me the schedule for the things he needs to learn but with me as his teacher. I haven't been able to find anything like that (maybe it doesn't exist..?) however, I have plenty of workbooks and have found lots of free worksheets, would it be best for me to just try and organize this myself and do say reading for a bit and then math and language arts, phonics and so on and so forth? I love learning through play but I also love having a organized format for the day. I guess I'm trying to find a happy medium. Thanks for your help again, I appreciate it!

Believe me when I tell you that because he is only five, he does not need a structured academic schedule. There is no consensus on what a five-year-old should learn, other than what I mentioned above (something for phonics, something for penmanship, something for arithmetic).

I would recommend looking in your local library for some books on homeschooling in general, to help you get a better handle on what it's all about.  We're sort of past the homeschool convention season, but I'm sure you can find some local homeschoolers on the T.H.E. site I linked; meeting some of them and talking face to face will really help.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/Aug/2016 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by dotconso dotconso wrote:

Wow, thank you Tasha, I feel a lot more confident after reading your post.
My one other MAJOR concern for her is socializing. She is already VERY shy and introvert and I fear she will not do any socializing at all and will not keep up with the couple of friends she has. At least going to school, she has to be a little social?

Most adults who were shy and introverted as children will tell you that school did not help them be more social.

It will be more profitable if you let her do something like a dance class, or join a scouting group of some kind. Also, look for local homeschoolers (the link I posted above) and see if there is a local support group that has a park day or field trips that you can participate in.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Aug/2016 at 11:56am

I'm going to agree with the advice that you don't actually need this for a 5 y/o. However, if you're determined to do it, there are plenty of curriculum options for you! Are you looking for a Christian curriculum or a non-Christian one? Off the top of my head I can think of GOBS of publishers who offer exactly what you're looking for: something with a "teacher's guide" that tells you what to teach/when to transition, etc. but that lets you be the teacher. That's pretty much any curriculum out there, honestly. So, it'll help narrow things down a little bit if I know whether you're looking for Christian or not. But, based on what you have written so far, check out Sonlight--you may really like them. They're more Charlotte Mason, but they provide a guide and loads of books (you buy a whole package that includes the books) and make Kindergarten pretty relaxed. 

EllieMaeJune is right, though - you don't NEED any of this stuff at Kindergarten level. You really just need to focus on teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic....but I also totally understand feeling more comfortable with a teacher's guide and probably a complete curriculum. 

So, would you like Christian suggestions or non? :) 

~Tasha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandyakadot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Aug/2016 at 1:01pm
Yes please, that would be great! Thanks so much for your help, what you have described (the teachers guide)is exactly what I'm looking for.

Edited by Mandyakadot - 20/Aug/2016 at 1:02pm
KarenW86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenW86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Aug/2016 at 3:58pm
I found this to be super helpful with my Teddie this year: http://www.educents.com/homeschool-guide-7-styles-of-learning-activities.html

I made the leap and decided to keep him home at the beginning of the year. It was scary at first, but he's actually learning MORE at home without the distractions. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Aug/2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by KarenW86 KarenW86 wrote:

I found this to be super helpful with my Teddie this year: http://www.educents.com/homeschool-guide-7-styles-of-learning-activities.html

I made the leap and decided to keep him home at the beginning of the year. It was scary at first, but he's actually learning MORE at home without the distractions. 

Karen, 

That's AWESOME to hear!! Big smileBig smileClap

I'm not surprised to hear he's doing better at home than he was in school. You're right--school settings can be very distracting to some children with all the stimulation going on. Heck, just sitting in a Kindergarten or 1st grade classroom is enough to overstimulate ME.....as an adult (I know this from experience, LOL). I can only imagine how it is for the kids. Phew! 

I'm so happy to hear that things are going well! You know if you ever need anything or have any struggles (because that WILL happen), we're here for you. All you have to do is post a message and ask! Wink
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Aug/2016 at 9:28am

Yes please, that would be great! Thanks so much for your help, what you have described (the teachers guide)is exactly what I'm looking for.

Mandy, 

Great! 

So, for Christian publishers (looking at the 5 y/o age group), I'll give you a few different styles you can choose from and then you can look at samples at each publisher's website and decide what will work best for you. These are in no particular order (so, #1 is not necessarily my "top suggestion" per se; I'm just posting in the order they pop into my head). 

1) ABeka - ABeka has a K4 and K5 program. I'd probably recommend the K5 program. One of the nice things about ABeka is that you can find any of their products on eBay because they're so popular. The only thing to be careful about is editions. You can usually find older editions at a much lower price point than the newer editions. However, with ABeka *for the most part* they haven't changed the actual content inside the books since the 90s. So, if you do end up finding, say, the large K5 gray binder (designed for schools but I have one and used it in homeschooling), you can still use it even though it was published in the 90s. 

There are exceptions to this, of course. Arithmetic, for instance, changes every 4-5 years....so if you have an older edition teacher's key (not to be confused with the curriculum guides), it may not line up with brand new student editions. 

Of course, the obvious solution to this is to buy everything brand new from ABeka....but in case you're looking for used, I wanted to let you know about this. Also, don't get confused by "teacher's key" and "Curriculum guide." If you choose ABeka, what YOU want is called the "Curriculum Guide." The Teacher's Key is the answer key but the Curriculum Guide has the lesson plans you're looking for. I'm sure you don't even need the Teacher's Key for K5 (you do know what a number 3 looks like, right? LOL)...but of course you can buy it if you'd like to have it. ABeka always has good resell value, too. 

OK, enough about ABeka! (Except I'll also add that they offer a DVD program if you're interested...but you said you wanted to do the teaching yourself, so that's fine. I've never used their DVDs.) 

2) ACE Curriculum - I absolutely LOVE the ACE PACEs! My kids do, too. At the Kindergarten level, you'd purchase "ABCs with ACE and Christy" and then the next set (if you're interested, I can help you with more details on this). Now, Kindergaren is the only level  (I'm pretty sure) that actually has a teacher's guide. That's because ALL the teaching is found within the actual PACES which are skinny little workbooks children complete. Fear not, there are answer keys (called Score Keys) you can purchase so you know if your child has the right answers. We actually have a banner ad in the right sidebar for ACE curriculum. Go check it out! Again, we've been using them off and on for several years now and my children (now 11, 13, 15, & 15) absolutely love them. We're taking a break from them for right now (because I'm pregnant and have been going through a lot) but they're begging to get back into them. Hopefully by the end of the calendar year we can be back into our PACEs, if not sooner. 

3) Sonlight - OK, this one is borderline Christian/non. As they get older, there is controversy out there over whether or not some of the books to read are suitable for Christians. But at the Kindergarten level, it's just fun. You purchase what they used to call "Core Kits" but are now just "Levels". You'd probably want to buy Level A. 

Sonlight teaches from a history-based perspective and is very Charlotte Mason/somewhat Classical in their approach. You buy the level and receive loads of good books, a teacher's guide, and anything else you'll need for the entire year. Many people love this curriculum, especially at the younger grades because it is gentle. Keep your books in great condition because Sonlight has excellent resell value. 

4) Learning Language Arts Through Literature (LLATL) - Technically, this program starts with 1st grade...but your 5 y/o may be able to do it. You could also buy the 1st grade package and spend two years working through it...so keep that in mind. That would allow you to be very gentle in your approach. To this day, LLATL is my go-to when I need a break from all other programs (so, it's what we're using now). It's Charlotte Mason-based and is very, very gentle (until high school LOL). I absolutely LOVE IT. WE use it in conjunction with my next recommendation: My Father's World. 

5) My Father's World - We absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE My Father's World. It covers everything except Languge Arts and Math (which is why we use LLATL alongside it). It's a Charlotte Mason/Classical/Unit Study combination and does a fanstastic job at doing what it needs to do. It's very gentle in it's approach and really has you interacting WITH your kids. The teacher's guide lays out everything for the week in a checkbox format so you can check it off if you'd like (though it has a great resell value so you may want to keep it clean or not worry about reselling and mark away LOL). 

OK, I don't want to overwhelm you but I wanted to give you at least five options. These options are different from one another, so it'll give you an opportunity to further explore what appeals to you the most. Once you choose one, let me know and I can give you further information about any of the above. We've used everything above in our 13 years of homeschooling! Big smileBig smile
Stephanieeeeeee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanieeeeeee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Sep/2016 at 4:58am
  1. What are your biggest concerns about homeschooling? Are you worried that you're not "adequate" enough to do it? I am very concerned I'm not adequate enough. I have no background in education. And I run a large capacity home daycare with 4 staff members so I am also worried about time, 
  2. Are you feeling overwhelmed by all of the info out there available on the internet, at the library, etc.? If so, how are you overcoming this? I dont feel too overwhelmed yet but I'm just starting my research. 
  3. Why do you want to homeschool? Do your children currently attend a public school, or are you at the point of "OK, it's time for Kindergarten--do I homeschool or send them away?" She just started kindergarten and I just dont see that she is being pushed. She already doesnt like it. She is a little ahead of the others so I believe the others are getting more focus to catch them up. She's exhausted when she gets home. There are many many reasons but I just dont think that she needs to be in a traditional school system. 
  4. What curriculum choices have you narrowed yourself down to as possibilities? (Or are you struggling to narrow it down in the first place?) I'm struggling to narrow it down. Not sure that I am even going to use one and they seem so complicated
  5. What homeschooling method/style appeals to you the most and why? Eclectic 
  6. Do you have special needs that need addressing? (Don't forget we have a whole forum dedicated to Special Needs homeschooling!) No special needs! 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Oct/2016 at 12:16pm
Hi Stephanie :) 

You mentioned that you run a large-scale home daycare. Does this mean you are hands-on with the kids in your daycare during the day? Or are you in more of a managerial/desk position? 

So, are you considering any specific curriculum options? I see you saying that you're having trouble narrowing things down and that you feel as though they're all complicated. I can see why you'd feel unsure you're even going to use one for Kindergarten. Homeschooling definitely takes time, though there are things you can do to help alleviate the time required from you specifically. Also, since your daughter is only in Kindergarten, there's no reason to feel that you need to spend five or six hours a day teaching. Wink

Knowing how things are in the school system, I'm not at all surprised that the teacher is teaching to the majority. You can't blame her, really. However, she should be differentiating and addressing your daughter as well as the others. Unfortunately, whether she actually does or not depends on the teacher. 

I wouldn't worry--at all--about the fact that you have no background in education. Especially for Kindergarten. Do you have some specific questions you'd like us to help you answer about homeschooling? Have you decided whether or not you're going to homeschool or are you still trying to figure out the logistics of it all and how it'd work out in your situation? 

~Tasha
paintbuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintbuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Oct/2016 at 8:13am
Hi there. My son is in first grade in public school right now and we have had nothing but problems since he started school last year. We never had behavioral problems at home with his dad and me. But it seems he just can't focus at school, despite the fact that he learns everything faster than the other children. The other day the teacher told us he was hitting himself and saying he was bad and needed to punish himself. After fighting for over a year to come up with better ways to teach him and discipline him, this was the last straw. I wanted to home school before we started kindergarten but with work it seemed impossible. But school has been such a struggle and I am done with them.

So my question is what is the best curriculum to follow for a very intelligent but active six-year-old boy who has already had one month of first grade? I prefer secular curriculum but I want something easy for his dad and me to follow and very hands-on for my son. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Madina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Oct/2016 at 8:39pm
Hello! I'm really interested in homeschooling.. Even long before I even knew there is some systems for it, curriculum , communities ..  And few days back  I've started researching on others mom's sites who does homeschooling and I have drowned.. in all this information =)

I don't get  the full picture   of this school.. I have picture of simple school, well we all have. We know what we are going to study every year, which new subjects we are going to study, what chapters we are going to cover , what exams we will have to give.. So is it same for homeschooling?

And to go to university a school graduation is needed, right? so if it's homeschooling we still have to be attached to some school where my kid will give a graduation exam, is that so?

My kid is 4 years, we are learning letters and numbers. Should I already follow any curriculum for her. should i put some goals, like by this year we should learn this much and this much..? And why there are so many different curriculum..? which one to choose?

Based on your answer (if whoever would answer me) I hope to get some what clear information and of course more questions..

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Nov/2016 at 10:42am
Originally posted by paintbuff paintbuff wrote:

Hi there. My son is in first grade in public school right now and we have had nothing but problems since he started school last year. We never had behavioral problems at home with his dad and me. But it seems he just can't focus at school, despite the fact that he learns everything faster than the other children. The other day the teacher told us he was hitting himself and saying he was bad and needed to punish himself. After fighting for over a year to come up with better ways to teach him and discipline him, this was the last straw. I wanted to home school before we started kindergarten but with work it seemed impossible. But school has been such a struggle and I am done with them.

So my question is what is the best curriculum to follow for a very intelligent but active six-year-old boy who has already had one month of first grade? I prefer secular curriculum but I want something easy for his dad and me to follow and very hands-on for my son. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi paintbuff! Smile

First, welcome to the world of homeschooling and to this forum. I'm sorry you and your son have had to deal with some of the downsides of public school in order to arrive at this point, but I'm glad you're here with us! 

Second, there are numerous curriculum options out there for you. One thing that stands out in your post is that you'd like something easy to follow and hands-on for your son. Often when people say they want something "easy to follow," they mean they'd like something that's open and go. In many cases, "easy to follow" is different from curriculum that's "open and go." Open and go means, well, just that. You open the teacher's guide and start the day, having done little or no prep work beforehand. Curriculum that provides hands-on aspects, though, will require at least some level of prep work. I just wanted to clarify that and make sure you were aware. Wink

One program that comes to mind is Moving Beyond the Page. It's a homeschool curriculum for children up to age 14. At the link I gave, you can click "Ages 5-7" to view samples and all of the products included in the curriculum packages. Another program that might interest you is Five in a Row. I can't remember if there is any mention of God/spiritual things in the main book, but I know they do have a Christian Character Supplement book (which leads me to believe they don't mention spiritual things in the main book, but the supplement is available for Christian families who'd like to weave God into their homeschool time). 

I hope these help some! Smile I'm not sure what religion your family is but if the mention of God or the Bible doesn't bother you, that'll open many more doors for curriculum choices. The good news is that most curriculum for six-year-olds is hands-on, which means that aspect shouldn't be too hard to find. 

Let me know if we can be of further assistance! Smile
Stephanieeeeeee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanieeeeeee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Nov/2016 at 3:37am
Hi Tasha! I took the plunge! I pulled her out about three weeks ago. It's going OK. Time is not a problem. I'm pretty hands off in the daycare. I'm the director so I've stepped back a lot lately. We are not using a curriculum. We do a lot of workbooks, sight words, reading books, library trips, and we also use reading eggs/math seeds website. She loves that! My main concern is she's not always interested and has a hard time pushing herself. When she already understands the work she loves it. When she doesn't understand, rather than letting me explain some she gets frustrated. We usually do a few hours at a time but we are truly learning constantly. When we play games she doesn't realize she's learning and that's when we enjoy it the most. I get worried that I'm not teaching her enough. Im not sure what I should be teaching sometimes. I'm primarily focusing on reading and math right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steph
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Nov/2016 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Stephanieeeeeee Stephanieeeeeee wrote:

Hi Tasha! I took the plunge! I pulled her out about three weeks ago. It's going OK. Time is not a problem. I'm pretty hands off in the daycare. I'm the director so I've stepped back a lot lately. We are not using a curriculum. We do a lot of workbooks, sight words, reading books, library trips, and we also use reading eggs/math seeds website. She loves that! My main concern is she's not always interested and has a hard time pushing herself. When she already understands the work she loves it. When she doesn't understand, rather than letting me explain some she gets frustrated. We usually do a few hours at a time but we are truly learning constantly. When we play games she doesn't realize she's learning and that's when we enjoy it the most. I get worried that I'm not teaching her enough. Im not sure what I should be teaching sometimes. I'm primarily focusing on reading and math right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steph

It sounds as if she is not very old, yes? If that is the case, then of course she will not always be interested, and that's ok. And if you do "a few hours at a time," you might be doing too much for her to handle.

Also, it takes time for all of us to figure out what works. And if she's been in school, then you're having to undo what was done there. 
Mommy.of5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mommy.of5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Nov/2016 at 7:59am
Let me start off by saying I am so happy I found this forum!!! I was ( well, still am, but not as bad) so overwhelmed by all the options I have for home schooling. Even after reading on here I still don't even know where to start. I have a 10yro son who is currently enrolled in 5th grade in a public school. I have never homes schooled before and I am on a tight budget so I want the most cost effective way without taking away from the quality of the education he receives. I also need to make sure everything coincides with the state curriculum so he will pass his test to move on to the next grade. Where do I start? Also best advice for a child with a mild attention disorder, not bad enough to need medication, but he needs constant supervision or he loses focus VERY  easily.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic