fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

last year of HS: Public school or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
spiderwoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: last year of HS: Public school or not?
    Posted: 02/Jul/2016 at 7:34am
Hi, my daughter is 17, has a very high GPA from online programs, got in the 99th%ile on the PSAT, is an extremely talented musician and attends a competitive pre-college music prep program as well as the youth orchestra for our nearby big city's orchestra.  She is needing 2.5 full year courses and an SAT to finish off an accredited online high school diploma and is totally sick of "homeschooling."  I want her to be happy, so she has been enrolled in a local public high school's music program.  It was easy for her to qualify for that program, in fact, she is probably way better than most kids in the program because homeschooling has allowed her the time to practice and perform regularly.  In addition, she has already taken all of the high school courses that the public high school offers, and she has gotten As or A+s in them from her online courses.  She mainly wants to attend public high school for the experience, and for the graduation ceremony.  She has repeatedly had to deal with feeling ashamed to say she has been homeschooled because our town is very against homeschooling.  Finding a group to hang out with has been a big problem for us.  I have no problem with her attending public high school for the last year, aside from the fact that I know she'd probably lower her GPA by going there and the SAT prep time would be very much diminished.  It is hard to get straight As in public high school, where marks may be curved, etc., and I am worried that that might make it harder for her to go to university.  Currently she enjoys sleeping in until 9 or 10 each day and still manages to get her schoolwork done, volunteer and play music.
Help!
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Jul/2016 at 8:06pm
Well, you know, it's really between you and your daughter. But seems to me she's throwing a lot away for the sake of a graduation ceremony with other people she hasn't gone to school with.

Is the high school going to accept all of her credits and allow her to enroll as a senior?

Also, if she's sick of homeschooling, you could graduate her now and investigate her enrolling in your local community college.
spiderwoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Jul/2016 at 9:09pm
Thank you for your reply.  Yes, the school is accepting all of her work and will let her enrol as a senior.  The idea of graduating now is interesting and I will definitely look into that, maybe have her take a look at courses at a local community college. 
Thank you!
HomeofLove4Him View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2017 at 3:47am
Just following up with you to see how this went! Did you end up enrolling her in the local high school (and if so, how's that going?)...or did you graduate her early so she could get that environment she was looking for? 

~Tasha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic