fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mommy.of5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mommy.of5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help !!!
    Posted: 15/Nov/2016 at 10:36am
Let me start off by saying I am so happy I found this forum!!! I was ( well, still am, but not as bad) so overwhelmed by all the options I have for home schooling. Even after reading on here I still don't even know where to start. I have a 10yro son who is currently enrolled in 5th grade in a public school. I have never homes schooled before and I am on a tight budget so I want the most cost effective way without taking away from the quality of the education he receives. I also need to make sure everything coincides with the state curriculum so he will pass his test to move on to the next grade. Where do I start? Also best advice for a child with a mild attention disorder, not bad enough to need medication, but he needs constant supervision or he loses focus VERY  easily. I really am looking for an online based school program that has good reviews to combine with my own direction that I would like to see his schooling go but I am open to other options.
Mommy.of5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mommy.of5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Nov/2016 at 10:38am
I also need help if anyone knows the proper way to go about Homeschooling in TN. I've tried looking it up but I'm getting so many different things I don't know whats correct or is outdated information.
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Nov/2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Mommy.of5 Mommy.of5 wrote:

Let me start off by saying I am so happy I found this forum!!! I was ( well, still am, but not as bad) so overwhelmed by all the options I have for home schooling. Even after reading on here I still don't even know where to start. I have a 10yro son who is currently enrolled in 5th grade in a public school. I have never homes schooled before and I am on a tight budget so I want the most cost effective way without taking away from the quality of the education he receives. I also need to make sure everything coincides with the state curriculum so he will pass his test to move on to the next grade. Where do I start? Also best advice for a child with a mild attention disorder, not bad enough to need medication, but he needs constant supervision or he loses focus VERY  easily. I really am looking for an online based school program that has good reviews to combine with my own direction that I would like to see his schooling go but I am open to other options.

If you homeschool, you don't have to  have the state's approval to move him to the next grade. In fact, depending on which option you choose, you may not need to test at all.

Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschooling might be what you're looking for.
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Nov/2016 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Mommy.of5 Mommy.of5 wrote:

I also need help if anyone knows the proper way to go about Homeschooling in TN. I've tried looking it up but I'm getting so many different things I don't know whats correct or is outdated information.

The best place to get information is HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association). This is HSLDA's page on homeschooling in TN. You will also find links to support groups in TN.
HomeofLove4Him View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Jul/2017 at 3:24pm
Mommy of 5, 

Just checking in to see how thing went for you. The best place to ask about homeschooling in TN is to find a group of local homeschoolers and ask them. HSLDA is a great place to start, but they're often pretty black and white and don't lay it all out for what the law "looks like" in practice. . . whereas real homeschooling moms can help with that. 

~Tasha
ecluett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecluett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jul/2017 at 11:24pm
This might be the most authoritative source of information -- it's straight from the horse's mouth, if you will.

https://www.tn.gov/education/topic/home-schooling-in-tn

I would go through that, and then check out Tennessee's academic standards, so you know what a fifth grader should be learning in each subject.

Let me know if I can help you go through any of that material -- I've taught public and private school, so I'm pretty familiar with how standards work and how to use them.  I even used to be certified in Tennessee, but that was a while ago.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jul/2017 at 4:54am
Originally posted by ecluett ecluett wrote:

This might be the most authoritative source of information -- it's straight from the horse's mouth, if you will.

https://www.tn.gov/education/topic/home-schooling-in-tn

I would go through that, and then check out Tennessee's academic standards, so you know what a fifth grader should be learning in each subject.

Let me know if I can help you go through any of that material -- I've taught public and private school, so I'm pretty familiar with how standards work and how to use them.  I even used to be certified in Tennessee, but that was a while ago.

This may give an idea of what TN's public school kids are learning (or being taught at least), but it is NOT an indicator of what a homeschooled 5th grader "should" be taught. Homeschoolers believe in giving their children a personalized education. This may mean the child is reading on a 4th grade level and doing math on an 8th grade level. In school, you'd call this "differentiation," but most of the time it involves giving extra busy work to those who are ready to move on if we're being honest. Homeschooled kids don't need to adhere to any state's standards, but it is nice to have a checklist to see what other kids are being taught at that grade level. 

Again, check with the local homeschoolers in your area and see what they're doing and how they are adhering to the law while still making sure their children are taught what they--each and individually--need. 

~Tasha
ecluett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecluett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jul/2017 at 7:39am
"Should" was a poor choice of words, but it can still provide a first step for someone unfamiliar with homeschooling.  You can look at what a fifth grader is doing in public school to get a broad sense of what ten-year-olds are generally being taught and are developmentally ready for, but then add or subtract as necessary based on your own knowledge of your own child's abilities and interests.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Jul/2017 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by ecluett ecluett wrote:

"Should" was a poor choice of words, but it can still provide a first step for someone unfamiliar with homeschooling.  You can look at what a fifth grader is doing in public school to get a broad sense of what ten-year-olds are generally being taught and are developmentally ready for, but then add or subtract as necessary based on your own knowledge of your own child's abilities and interests.

Agreed. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic