fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Single Dad.. can I homeschool after work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cbrown038 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbrown038 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single Dad.. can I homeschool after work?
    Posted: 22/Apr/2017 at 5:57am
My daughter wants to homeschool, but I can't be home during the day. I am still in the process of getting custody. She wants to homeschool but live with me. Her mother works from home, butter mother doesn't want to home school her..  

Is there any reason the reprogram wouldn't allow or couldn't allow her to be on a different schedule than the rest of her homeschool classmates?

What to do?

Thanks

Chris

She was a K12 homeschooler her 6th grade year, is currently in public school now for 7th, but really wants to come back to K12 for 8th.
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Apr/2017 at 4:32pm
You should understand, first of all, that if your child is enrolled in a virtual academy (which I assume she is since she's doing K12), she is legally considered a public school student, not a homeschool  student. You would want to check with your virtual academy (if you're in South Carolina, that would be South Carolina Virtual Academy) to see if they have any requirements or rules about that.
HomeofLove4Him View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Apr/2017 at 5:47am
Since you were using K12, were you paying for it or getting it for free through the state's virtual school? If you were getting it for free, then she was technically a publi school student and not a homeschooler. Typically, homeschooled children can do school on whatever schedule best suits the family. A couple of things to consider here are:

1) Do you have the freedom to let her do the K12 program at any hours she'd like? Again, when homeschooling you can but if you're doing it through the state, I'm not sure if that'd matter. 

2) Is it really wise to leave your 13-14 y/o home all day long, alone, until you get home? It just might not be the best situation for her. Could she stay with her mom during the day and do her school (K12 shouldn't require much from mom at the 8th grade level)and then come to you in the evening? That way, she gets to be with both parents all day every day, which might be the best solution for her. 
cbrown038 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbrown038 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Apr/2017 at 6:57pm
Trust me, I don't want to leave her at home, but she won't be alone much, as my oldest daughter lives with me also. She works part time and will be there a good bit. However, custody hasn't been decided and I can't request that my oldest daughter school her at home.  

I will check with K12 and see what the rules are. I was hoping maybe someone here would know about K12 and their policies.

Thanks

HomeofLove4Him View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2017 at 8:44pm
Ahhh...

I must have missed that you have an older daughter (old enough to work). In that case, I change my views slightly. I still say to be careful about how much time she's alone (especially in a nasty custody battle...), but having her older sister there means she isn't "alone" as much as I thought at first. 

~Tasha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic