fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 and more

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jayden11895 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayden11895 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 and more
    Posted: 27/Jun/2017 at 11:07pm
I am pretty sure that I want to use Teaching Textbooks for algebra this fall with my 12 year old son. I do have a few questions/concerns though. I have heard that the textbook is not needed by some yet others say it is the software that is not needed, some say having both is necessary? Have you used this program? What is your opinion? I have been teaching my son pre-algebra and after we finished for the year we went over Khan Academy pre-algebra videos on YouTube. He seems to be doing great yet he didn't pass the algebra 1 assessment test for Teaching Textbooks. He was a few questions short of passing. Teaching Textbooks is very expensive and I don't want to buy the Algebra 1 program and have it be too hard for him, but I believe the pre-algebra program will be too easy. Where is the cheapest place to buy the program? I was told Christianbooks.com but have been watching emails and the website for months and it is no cheaper there than ordering directly through the company. $185 for one subject is a lot to pay for a single mom.
I am also looking for some advice on and English/grammer curriculum. I am terrible at English, it just doesn't click with me. Commas, semicolons, colons.... And I absolutely hate it.   He finished Critical Thinking Co. Language Mechanics and the 6-8th grade Vocabulary Virtuoso.   So, if there is a curriculum you would recommend for this I would be grateful. Thanks in advance for any help. I am feeling quite frustrated about the upcoming year, so much that I have considered putting him back in public school. We have been homeschooling since 1st grade. This is the first year I have dreaded.
HomeofLove4Him View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Jun/2017 at 3:50am
Hey Jayden! 

I have experience using Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 because two of my daughters are currently using it. :) I taught them Pre-Algebra with ABeka and though we only made it halfway through the Pre-Algebra book, both of them passed the TT Algebra 1 assessment. 

That being said, here is one thing I also know about TT: their own website says that if your child is 12-13 y/o and has mastered adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, fractions, and percents....and can grasp the concept that sometimes a numeral is represented by a letter....then s/he is probably ready for Algebra 1. 

My daughters have said that one thing they love about TT is how they explain each and every single problem, so if they are struggling with something, they know the program has help built into it. I hardly have anything to do with their math because TT does such a great job of taking care of it for me. However, I try not to stay totally checked out because, on the rare occasions that they DO need something from me, I need to stay current on how they're being taught so I can teach it to them myself. 

AFA English/grammar: I highly recommend Easy Grammar, especially if you're not very good at grammar yourself. Easy Grammar takes about 10-15 minutes/day and the children do it independently. You'd want to get the book for his grade level plus the student workbook (unless you're okay with photocopying daily) plus the test booklet. You're looking at around $60 for all three if I remember correctly. Worth every darn penny--take it from a writer and copy editor. :) :) 

~Tasha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic