Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can you quantify results?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rimfaxe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rimfaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you quantify results?
    Posted: 17/Aug/2017 at 5:54am
Hi everyone-
This is my fist post here, so go easy on me.   I have DD7 using Reading Eggspress for the summer.  We started the first week in June with the goal of increasing her reading competency before she begins the second grade.   She is by no means an 'at risk' reader, in fact, she reads solidly on her grade level.   The Reading Eggspress placed her in the early 2nd grade, which seemed about right.

We have been using the program daily for the past eleven weeks except for a week of vacation.  According to the parent console, she has increased her Lexile score by 292 points-- she is currently at 632 and solidly at a third-grade level, according to the program.

While I have little doubt that she has increased her competency, I've run into a snag.  I've been looking for any scientific research that indicates that using the product is more effective than simply reading books from the library or other non-technology methods of instruction.   Although there are may great reviews of the product out there, I've found nothing to indicate that this is a more effective pathway to improving my child's reading skills.

I'm looking forward to her placement testing in a few weeks after she starts the second grade.  I'm sure that there will be an improvement, simply because of the practice and daily commitment we've made.  Although she is OK with the program (I wouldn't say that she loves it), I'm questioning if there is any data to support this CAI approach.   Any thoughts from ReadingEggs.com or the members of this forum is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
HomeofLove4Him View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Aug/2017 at 3:12pm
Hi there! 

I don't know if there is data out there to support the fact that her Lexile scores increased with the use of Reading Eggs, but I'm sure Reading Eggs has data to support their program. 

Here's some research on CAI and its effects on reading instruction/learning: 

https://eps.schoolspecialty.com/EPS/media/Site-Resources/Downloads/research-papers/series/etc_research.pdf?ext=.pdf

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.513.6690&rep=rep1&type=pdf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic