Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to homeschooling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KellyTN80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyTN80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to homeschooling
    Posted: 18/Jan/2018 at 8:13pm
I am just now starting to research home schooling. I have 2 boys that are 13 and 15. My oldest does great in public school and loves it, so he will continue that. My 13 year old has had major troubles with school since he started middle school in 5th grade. His A's and B's have went straight to D's and F's and even with countless meetings with teachers, he is not doing any better. He has a lot of anxiety, never asks for help, and tests VERY badly. While he's at home he does great with homework with my help. Where do I begin? What program is the best? I've only heard of K12, but I am so lost. Is there somewhere to go that I unenroll him from public school? I want to get this started ASAP if I can, but I am confused beyond belief. How much time am I going to have to spend teaching him, or can he do most of it online watching videos etc? I work full time and I am a single mom, but I am willing to attempt a part time job just so I can help him if need be. If he can do this himself, with my checking his work when I get home even better.
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jan/2018 at 8:55pm
My first recommendation is not to consider your state's virtual academy (you would enroll your child in the virtual academy, and you'd have access to K-12). It is public school at home, and your ds would still be pressured to perform.

My second recommendation would be to connect with local homeschoolers. Tennessee has an active homeschool community. Here's a link to Home School Legal Defense Association's page with groups in Tennessee. 

That you work full time makes homeschooling tricky, but perhaps your local homeschoolers will have some good suggestions.
DP1213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DP1213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Jan/2018 at 10:51pm
Khan Academy. It's free and extremely helpful. It may be hard but it will pay off. Encourage him heavily to do school on Khan Academy, but the most important part is not to force it. If you try to force it they will view learning in a very negative way because of it. You have to encourage them to do it, get them started, and if they won't, tell them they have to get good scores on whatever subjects you want them doing or you won't let them play games or something and will make them spend extra time on it. This doesn't force them to learn or take in a lot of information just to get good scores, it mostly just encourages them to put a bit more time and effort into it.
If you are going to be using this just as a tool to improve his learning, tell him to look up and watch videos and do practices on the subjects he's learning in school. If you want to really help him, ask him the specific subject he's on, research it and make him a short test on it, try to get him to solve it and see how he does. If he doesn't do too well, he should spend at least an hour learning about it on Khan Academy. Give him the test back after and ask him to solve the problems he got wrong and see how he does then. If he actually does the work on Khan Academy and is trying to learn, he would show very obvious improvement.
DP1213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DP1213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Jan/2018 at 11:08pm
In addition to my previous post, the reasoning behind not forcing it is because scientifically, information is taken far less effectively by the brain when they see the source of the information as being negative in any way. Shoving information down their throat will make them very unlikely to retain it. Even if they don't show interest in it, if they are doing it to better themselves and they know that instead of just doing it to pass, they will succeed.
I was homeschooled myself, and now I am studying to become a theoretical astrophysicist. It is mostly because my dad knew a lot and taught me a lot of the complicated aspects of physics and other sciences in ways I could understand when I was young. I could explain to you the effects of Einstein's theory of special relativity when I was 16 because of him. If I was doing that as a lesson and was required to know that information in order to succeed and I had the pressure of failing on me I would have seen the information as being shoved down my throat or thrown in my face without a reason why, but because I was taught it by my dad because he knew a lot about it and liked teaching it and I wanted to know more, I retained the information he taught me throughout my entire life, and because of it I was taking college physics classes when I was 16.
When I was doing actual school work, I was a terrible student. My parents did it wrong so I hated doing school and fell far behind. As soon as I instead of being forced to do it by my parents and made the decision for myself to learn what I didn't know, I succeeded very easily. It's the most important aspect of learning, and almost every public school in the country fails at it.
The 2 things I found most essential to learning are: 1, understanding, explanation, and application. 2, dedication, desire, and freedom. Information needs to be explained and applied well or they won't see a point to learning it. Who cares what the quadratic formula is if they don't know what they can do with it? It's a very important part of math, but the only reason they have to learn it in public school is so they can pass. The student also has to desire learning it and feel free to learn it how they wish. Homeschooling is great for this because they can go at their own pace. If you have a very smart student that excels at math then you won't want them to be held back by the high school curriculum. In homeschooling they can to the entire math course in a month if they wanted to. I was over 2 books behind in math when I was like 13 or 14 and then as soon as I was able to learn math on my own decision and at my own pace I got at it and learned the next 3 books I had in less than a year.
I excelled at my first college physics class because not only was I naturally very smart and knew a lot about physics but because I wanted to learn it. I knew students that came very close to failing, and they were only there because they had to be to go into any medical fields.
It's also because the teacher always taught the mathematically correct way to solve the problems and I always solved them intuitively. I interpreted the problems and solved them how I figured out how to myself while other students had the solutions shoved down their throat and couldn't apply them correctly because of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic