fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJewish curriculum?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Raejay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jewish curriculum?
    Posted: 28/Jun/2006 at 2:12pm
Does any body know of a Jewish based homeschool curriculum?
Naomi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/Jul/2006 at 8:54am

No..I have looked and can't find a cirriculum. BUT...having said that, the best way to learn Judaism is to live it within the  religous Jewish community.

Are you Jewish or just looking to learn more about Judaism? I have suggestions, but they differ based on what you are looking for.

momx3tobe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Aug/2006 at 8:13pm
This is my one problem with the idea of homeschooling:  I feel as though the majority, okay everybody, that homeschools is Christian.  Because I live in a very Christian area to begin with, will I be doing a dis-service to my daughter by homeschooling her?  Given that there are no Jewish homeschooling families here?  Yikes.  I need like-minded people.  Any ideas?  I will, of course, keep her in Hebrew school.
Naomi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Aug/2006 at 12:03pm

momx3tobe,

Hello!

We live in an area where the majority of frum kids are homeschooling. Including our Rabbi's kids. :)

If there is a day school anywhere near you, try contacting them and finding out if you can volunteer there. Perhaps for Yom Tov or other special activities. Many times, they will be happy just to allow you to support the school and participate. That's what we are doing here.

There are websites, some frum, not not affiliated at all of Jewish families that are homeschooling. Its a growing thing. Just think...you are a pioneer for the Jewish community! :)

I would still use the Christian outings and things from time to time, depending on what's going on. As long as I didn't get beat over the head with evangalism or constant religious discussions, I would be okay. Usually, kids don't get preoccupied with it. They just want to have fun on the field trip.

Her best strength will be what you teach her by what you live. 

momx3tobe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Sep/2006 at 2:26am
Sorry I have been away so long.  I am doing a crash course in curriculum!  Hoping to take my daughter out of school by Fall break.  I don't have a problem with having my daughter do things with a christian group.  My friends are respectful of our beliefs.  I have realized that this is the time when our synagogue will be even more important to us.  My daughter started Hebrew school last year (Chabad) and we are joining a conservative synagogue as soon as we can find the right "fit."  I would love to share field trips with someone of the same faith but it won't detract from our experience if we can't.  Glad to know you are out there!  I don't suppose you are in Southern California?!  :)

Edited by momx3tobe
Rachel161 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Sep/2006 at 7:17am

Hi there,

I've been looking for a Jewish curriculum for years!  Of course, there are many ways to further a Jewish child's education, but a Jewish curriculum simply reinforces that education even in grammar books.  I've been home-educating my children for over five years now, and the youngest is 13 and the age of an 8th grader.

Personally, I got out of the mindset of needing a curriculum.  I've learned where my children are quite adept and where they need extra help, and we simply tailor our studies around the child himself.

The good news is that many more Jewish families are home-educating their children, so we don't have to be mistaken for xtian zealots anymore! 

Edited by Rachel161
Raejay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Sep/2006 at 6:50pm

Well, I went on to google and typed in "Jewish homeschooling" and got directed to quite a few websites.  I don't remember them right off the bat, though. 

But, it might be worth a shot.

Rachel161 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Sep/2006 at 11:17am

Hi Raejay,

Originally posted by Raejay Raejay wrote:

Well, I went on to google and typed in "Jewish homeschooling" and got directed to quite a few websites.  I don't remember them right off the bat, though.

But, are any actual curriculums like the xtian equivalents?  I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, they do not exist.  There are many books and curriculums based only on Judaism as a religion, but it would be interesting to find a curriculum that encompasses all subjects.

For instance, my children read "A Child's History of the World," which, in general, is a good history book from Calvert School.  However, although Calvert School is secular, it is most evident that the writer is xtian because many references were made to their savior.  It would be great to find a general history book that is about world history, in general, but doesn't make such blatant xtian references.  The vast majority of the world is not xtian, anyway.

Raejay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Sep/2006 at 3:50pm
to tell you the truth, i'm not sure.  i could check back and see what i come up with, and get back to you.
Nbander View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Oct/2006 at 9:42pm

Hello Everyone,

Let me introduce yourself.  I have two children, 9 year old and a 3 year old.  We are an observant Jewish family living just north of New York City.

I am fortunate to live in an area that has many choices in day schools.  I currently send my daughter to a rather religious yeshiva and am delighted with the quality of her education and the midos being taught.  She is doing rather well socially and educationally and she spends her days with delightful children who come from very good families.

However, I am seriously considering homeschooling my daughter next year.  I am spending this year researching and thinking.

Why would I do such a thing?  The dual curriculum and the long hours sitting every day, with only two 20-minute recess periods, are burning her out, as she spends 7 1/2 hours a day in school. 

She has no spark for learning whatsoever and complains that she hates school.  I realize that many children complain about school.  My daughter, however, has no desire to go anywhere, to learn a musical instrument, or to take a dance class, as she tells me she just wants to be home.

I'm a stay-at-home mom anyway.  I cannot help but feel that life has more to offer than just sitting in a classroom all day, which seems counter-intuitive to how children should be spending their time.

I would love to find other home-schoolers in my area who are not of the fundamentalist Christian persuasion, with their accompanying need to proselytize.

I am looking forward to learning more and would love to hear from anyone interested.

Thank you.

mousetower View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Jan/2007 at 10:26pm

WOW good to know that we all have the same problems! This has been a hard road for me as I went to private school (5 years) never learned to understand Hebrew even though it was 1/2 the day. I know my limitations. There is no Jewish community where I live without driving for an hour each way. I have tried to teach about Mitzvah and Ha'shem but it wasn't going well. We ended up at a Christian bible study. We change the songs, we talk about the differences between what the teachers say and what we think. Gotta say it was easier being a Jew in the city than here in the boonies.

Thanks for being there!

Mia

ima2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Feb/2007 at 9:01am
Hi,

I am a mother of 2 and am seriously considering homeschooling when my children are ready (they are both under 2 years old at this time).  We are a Modern Orthodox family and I would love to find other observant mothers who want to homeschool their children.  My biggest concern for my children regarding homeschooling is social. 

I have found some good educational material online.  The last link is my favorite so far.

Here are several links that you may find useful:

http://www.chayas.com/homeschoolindex.htm

http://www.akhlah.com/worksheets.php

Fabulous materials: http://www.e-chinuch.org/

Dragon_Lilly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Feb/2007 at 11:37am

I'm not Jewish, but I'm also not Christian. I'm Pagan and my husband believes in eastern philosophy/zen buddhism.  We often find ourselves in the same situation.  There is virtually no good curriculum (I say no good curriculum because while there is pagan curriculum out there, I've found that none of it is really worthwhile) that is supportive of our beliefs so we use secular curriculum and work in our religious elements where we can.  The kids get a good taste of our religious beliefs at various times of the year via celebrations and through daily living.  I don't know of any other homeschoolers that believe the same way they do.  We belong to a couple homeschool groups that are secular - even though most of the people there are actually Christian.  There are no problems with the diversity of religions and nobody tries to preach to anyone else.  We have a great time.

Good luck in finding what works for you!

kcmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Nov/2007 at 1:12am

Hello,I am not sure if I am posting this correctly, but I wanted to respond to the person looking for a non-religious history series.  We actually are Christian, but our history spine does not promote christian views over any other religion.  You might like to look at The Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer.  These books are very well written and reader friendly even for the youngest students.  You can purchase activity books that include lists of additional reading materials, most of which are likely to be available at your public library.  Also, for a general K-12 curriculum guide you might like to check out The Well Trained Mind, also by Susan Wise Bauer.  This book offers a wealth of resources, and could easily be tailored to work well with the religious beliefs of your family.  I would also like to add that I would not completely disqualify reviewing a resource strictly because it is catering to the Christian Community, often you can tease out what works for your family without compromising your values.  One of the resources that I use is Sonlight, which is very Christian, but I often will see members on the Sonlight forums who are Jewish.  I believe that many will just eliminate the religious materials, and take advantage of the book lists and teacher helps.  I actually stumbled upon this site while looking for resources for another Jewish family who is looking to homeschool.  They are in the same predicament as many of you, a lack of materials directly catered to Jewish families.  Hmmm... seems like there is quite an opportunity here for some creative person to get the ball rolling.

Nbander View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/Nov/2007 at 9:26am

Hello Everybody,

I see I wrote something over a year ago about my concerns with possibly homeschooling our daughter.

Well, here it is a year later, and for all those "Jewish homeschoolers" out there, I thought I'd share our experience:

Our 5th grader is indeed homeschooled this year.  Hashem stepped in and made her 4th grade unusually difficult, so we pulled her out mid-year.  Gam zu letova -- everything is for the good, and we couldn't be more delighted with how happy our daughter is.  That difficulty she experienced in 4th grade was just the impetus we needed.

Since we are religious, I was concerned that our daughter's Hebrew would suffer.  It has not.  We hire a tutor 3X a week and my daughter is doing beautifully.  (Although not exactly cheap -- it's less money than the day school tuition -- but saving money was never what homeschooling was about.)  Without reservation, she is learning more in those 6 hours than she was during the whole week at school.  Now she is enthusiastic.

As far as the other topics, I had (and still have) no real concept of what a 5th grade curriculum is about, but I look to "Making the Grade" and "What Your 5th Grader Needs To Know" for guidance.  That guidance is quite good.  Since she is deficient in science and social studies, and adept in English, we are focusing more in areas that she thus far has not been too exposed to.  I think the word is "cross curriculum," but all that we're doing now is inter-connected.  We're doing Geography, Weather, the Water Cycle, American History, and of course Math, her worst subject.  My inherent sense is that what we are learning now is really going to stay with her.

Also important is that she is excited about learning other subjects and doing things she either never had time for, or wasn't able to develop an interest in because she was overtired and burned out.  We signed her up for art class and tennis class, and a delightful class at the Bronx Zoo especially for homeschoolers.  Now we have a wonderful. reason to go to the zoo each week.  The course offered there is quite scientific, but also very "hands on." 

Regarding the so-called "social" aspect, she has the same friends from all religious backgrounds now that she had before, but those friendships are more intense now, they're warmer and more real.  If I had my preference, however, I would LOVE for her to meet and become friendly with some Jewish homeschooled girls.

I would love to meet other Jewish homeschoolers from anywhere, either online or in person.  Send us an email at [email protected].

NBander

YaelAldrich View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Jun/2008 at 12:08am
My name is Yael Aldrich and I found this forum on homeschool.com.  I homeschool my children (7,4,and 1.5) in Tokyo Japan.  I am interested in starting a email list focusing on the needs and support of frum/orthodox/observant Jewish homeschooling families.  If  you would be interested in joining such a group, please email me.

kol tuv,
Yael
mathprof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Nov/2008 at 5:07pm
Here is a current article (October 24, 2008) on why Jewish Parents should homeschool their children.

http://www.jewishpress.com/pageroute.do/36718/Homeschooling: _An_Au.html

The newspaper it appeared in is a weekly that always contains articles that help Jewish parents homeschooling and desiring to instill Religious values as well as give their children a good understanding of the Old Testament.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Nov/2008 at 5:26pm
Professor Weissman,

Thanks for the great article!  My husband guest wrote for the blog Orthonomics (http://orthonomics.blogspot.com/) about Orthodox Jewish homeschooling. 

I also have created a yahoo group to help support Orthodox Jewish homeschoolers called JewishOrthodoxandHomeschooling.  We welcome Orthodox Jews who are thinking about homeschooling as well.

Do you homeschool?

Yael Aldrich
mathprof View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Nov/2008 at 5:42pm
I don't homeschool.My son & daughter went to yeshivas and now both are teachers. Why don't you respond to that article with a letter to the editor? Perhaps expounding a bit on your reply post. I for one was unaware about Jewish Home Schoolers.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Nov/2008 at 6:07pm
Perhaps I will...

kol tuv,
Yael
mousetower View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Nov/2008 at 10:53am

There is a good lapbook publisher that sepcializes in Jewish holidays. http://www.currclick.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=163

I've used it to teach the holidays to my kids along with the maccabee badge from the cubscouts. We live in the middle of nowhere and through a fluke of luck my co-worker and I are both Jewish (probably one of only a doz. families in the whole town)  we are both very relaxed. It is nice if you have someone else to celebrate holidays with or for the kids to explore with but it is not necessary.

Mia

chessie15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Nov/2008 at 4:51pm

Here is the link to the Jewish Home educators network

http://www.snj.com/jhen/

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Nov/2008 at 5:26pm
Thanks!  I hadn't seen that currclick.com before.

Having a community is always good for everyone -- Judaism is a group religion .

Yael

Take a look at jewishorthodoxandhomeschooling at YahooGroups
Janis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Mar/2009 at 7:37pm
Here are some thoughts about social studies.  I don't know the ages of your children, but usually in the primary grades the focus for social studies is on family and community.  Have the children write about what it's like growing up; then have them interview older family members about when they were growing up, and family history in general.  This can be a multi-level activity, with children of different ages participating according to their ability.  Make a book, or one for each child, about your family's history.  Also collect favorite recipes from family members and ask about when these recipes are/were made--a holiday, a birthday, a particular day of the week?  Make a cookbook reflecting your family's traditions.  Then look over other Jewish cookbooks.  Some, like Spice and Spirit of Jewish Cooking (Lubavitz), have lots of information about Jewish traditions.  The Manischewitz Passover Cookbook has information about Passover customs among Jews in different parts of the world.  The Kosher Chinese Cookbook series tells the story of a family whose younger members were skipping Friday night dinners with Grandma to go out for Chinese or Italian until their grandmother figured out how to make kosher Chinese & Italian food--a mini-history of assimilation & return.

Janis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Mar/2009 at 8:09pm
My reply was actually longer than that and I don't know where the rest of it went.  I also recommended, for older children, using a Jewish history text for your main text and filling in as needed.  For U.S.:  Let Freedom Ring: Jewish history in the United States by Seymour Rossell.  For history elsewhere:  2,000 Years of Jewish History by Rabbi Chaim Schloss.  Where non-Jewish texts talk about the Spanish Inquisition from a Christian perspective, Rabbi Schloss discusses what it was like for Jewish families living under the Inquisition.  Non-Jewish texts paint the Crusades in glorious terms; Jewish texts discuss what the Crusaders did to defenseless Jewish communities.  For your reading program, the Heroes series by Rabbi Chaim Walder has short stories about dilemmas faced by contemporary Jewish children, which he then connects to similar situations faced by Jewish sages of the past, many of whom have been written up in a book called One-Minute History Lessons.  You could have the children read the stories and the biographies and make a time line showing the order of the events; also include your family's history on the time line.  For learning about other Jewish communities and practicing map reading, try One People, a book about Jewish communities in places like Uzbekhistan, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic