fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedassumptions about homeschooling....grrrr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ConnieR5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: assumptions about homeschooling....grrrr
    Posted: 21/Oct/2006 at 6:29pm

hello, i was just wondering if any of you all deal with the "assumption of fundamentalism" every time you tell someone new you are homeschooling.  i have found that the general public asscoicates homescooling with one of two things. If you homeschool your children then you are either a fundamental christian who wants to shelter your children from society or you are a tree huggin hippy who wants to shelter your children from the fundamentlist... what happened to the middle ground?!? can we not homeschool our children because we believe they will be better educated. in fact the desire for our children to grow up UN sheltered is one of our driving forces for homeschooling, rather than sit in a classroom "sheltered from the world" our kids live in it, they study other religions and meet and talk to people who follow those religions, people of all ethnicitys, cultures and religons are welcome in my kids lives and i personaly am sick and tired of people assuming that just because we HS we are going to hit them over the head with a bible, as as soon as they find out we are not swinging any religious texts at anyone we automaticly become the anti christian enemy!!!!   

sorry im just a little frustrated, the incident that provoked this little rant happened yesterday. we were at a local restarunt eating lunch i brought my younger kids to the table and was getting them set up when a lady at the table next to us asked my 5 year old if he was in kindergarten this year. he responded by telling her that he homeschools. the lady starts telling us about a family at church that homeschools and its just so nice to see people instilling good values in their children (i haddnt said a word, this was all her here) about that time my partner and our older kids join us at the table with our food. the woman asks my partner if she homeschools her children also... Erin, who is not shy about that sort of thing, very politely explained that OUR children are homeschooled...mine, hers, one in the same. after a few seconds of some obviously painful gear grinding in the womans head she realized that we were a lesbian couple and stood up from her table and said "it doenst matter how weather you isolate them from socioty or not..eventually they will learn that IT is a sin!" then she turned to our youngest daughter who was sitting in a high chair in front of her  patted her on the head and said 'you poor poor children, ill pray for you' and walked off leaving her lunch on the table!!! sheesh! cant we just eat some freakin lunch! grrrrr

ok sorry for the long rambling vent.. i wassnt sure where else i could put this so here it is...

thanks for listening, Connie

o&lsmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Oct/2006 at 11:28pm

Connie

I tell my dh that people like that just have a knack for showing thier own ignorance. Believe me, it's not just a hs thing or a lesbian thing.

My dh and I live in Idaho, but are originally from CA. We have had people assume that we are from the city.(He was raised on a cattle ranch. I have raised goats for 20 yrs. How do you do those things in a city apartment?) We have had people assume we are from the coast.(CA is like 500 miles wide.) We even had one aquaintance call my dh family flatlanders.(He grew up running cows through passes higher than this person has ever ridden through, and this guy only gets on a horse a few times a year for fun.)

It is sometimes exasperating when people act so stupid. They are just too lazy or close-minded to find out before they assume. They do, at least, make it easy for us to illustrate to our children the need for them to be open minded, and get the whole story before you form an opinion.

Cat05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Oct/2006 at 3:39am
Rude and ignorant folk are everywhere.  It really does stink though.  The praying for your kids part was especially witty and original (imagine an eye-rolling smilie here, since the site doesn't have one).
ConnieR5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Oct/2006 at 2:37pm

thanks! deffaintly some ignorant people out there... unfortunatly we have more than our share down here in arkansas, but like you said its a good way to show the kids how NOT to act!!! 

and by the way WE did say a little prayer for HER that night before bed... my oldest son mentioned it all on his own, he said we should pray for her to learn to be nice to people that arnt like her!  i guess we havnt done a compleatly awful job raising them so far...hehehe

o&lsmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Oct/2006 at 10:12pm
Right On !!!!
YouMeUs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Oct/2006 at 6:45am
People try to find common ground with anyone.  This lady probably had only met one HSing family and they were most likely fundamental Christians HSing for the sole purpose of keeping satan as far away from their kids as possible.  When presented with something outside of her knowledge, and most likely outside of her comfort zone, she didn't know how to respond.  Ignorance, plain and simple.  Unfortunately the world is full it, as I'm sure you already know.
Rachel161 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/Nov/2006 at 6:48pm

I rarely get the xtian assumption when people learn that my family home educates.  However, the most predictable response is nearly always the same:  "What about their social development?"

I never have, but sometimes I fantasize about responding, "We're trying to combat the problem by allowing the children out of the closet once or twice a week so they can learn about other humans.  We're very progressive that way, you know."

I'm very sorry to hear about the sanctimonious imbecile you encountered.  I hope the situation never again occurs, but if it does, you might answer, in a very sweet voice, "And dear ma'am, I certainly pray to the Almighty that I never become as judgmental and rude to others as you've been to me."

onyxravnos View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/Mar/2008 at 11:36pm

Originally posted by Rachel161 Rachel161 wrote:

I fantasize about responding, "We're trying to combat the problem by allowing the children out of the closet once or twice a week so they can learn about other humans.  We're very progressive that way, you know."

i'm stealing that answer and using it!

marshabrady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/May/2008 at 5:49pm
Well, I had one lady assume I was homeschooling because I just didn't know that our town had a school!  She couldn't fathom the idea of someone actually WANTING  to homeschool!

Edited by marshabrady
Ceilidh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2008 at 1:05pm
Oh what a nasty woman! 

I would have kicked her, LOL

Edited by Ceilidh
Muttnboofer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Feb/2009 at 5:11pm
A friend of mine recently went to our tiny little library. One of the librarians there homeschools and belongs to the only homeschool group in the area (I'm working on changing this) CHERCH. When my friend explained that she isn't Christian and so didn't think it would be right for her she was asked what religion she followed. She happens to be pagan. The librarian actually told her "Well, I don't think I can check you out. That's just not right." Hehe...The head librarian was there and told her tha oh, yes she would so check her out. Beliefs have nothing to do with her doing her job properly.

I've heard the thing about socialization before and now pretty much ignore it. For some reason I also have been hearing people tell me "Oh, you homeschool. You're schedule is very flexible then. We can meet anytime." Ummm...no. I have to work around my husbands work schedule (we have one car) and then there are thevarious therapies my son goes to and all of the social groups and outside classes he goes to. I barely have time for day to day errands.lol
o&lsmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Feb/2009 at 1:15pm

Yes I have several times had people ask me how I can stand to just stay at home all day. They just don't have a clue. I love staying home, schooling, scheduling for a home business, taking care of livestock, working in the garden, and now I am thinking of working a hobby into another small home business. They seem to think that I just stay home and watch soaps all day. Yuck!

Oh well. I don't envy someone who can't even be comfortable in thier own house for a few days without having to "go do something".

adietrich32210 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Sep/2009 at 11:37am
I'm so glad that all of you have shared your experiences here!  It makes me feel like I'm not alone.  I did not choose homeschooling for religious reasons.  People automatically think that is the reason.  I too want my son to be open to all people and religions!  Now I just have to figure out how to do it! 
thesavvymama View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Oct/2009 at 11:41am

I am a Pagan hs'ing parent and I share your frustration and have had my share of amusement around these experiences as well. 

Sometimes, I am so astounded by the reactions others have about my family's lifestyle, beliefs and choices that I just have to laugh!  I don't hs because I am pagan, but the two seem to fit well together.  My family is Catholic and although they are very good at pretending to be open and accepting about my beliefs and the way I raise my children, they are quick to give "gifts" like rosary beads and bible stories to my kids.  They (my mother and grandmother, for example) are forever talking to my children about christian holidays and catholic beliefs.  Even though they all know we celebrate pagan holidays, we are always expected to join in on their holidays.  Yet, we never get any respect or even acknowledgement of ours.  This is all very frustrating for me.  Blah! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic