fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHate to rock the boat....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2007 at 9:42am

I wish you a great homeschooling year.

Sincerely,

Kim

Edited by Campmomx4
keegans_mommy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2007 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Campmomx4 Campmomx4 wrote:

Hello,

At least you are listed. From what I can tell, LDS is NOT the same as Biblical Christianity. LDS and the Roman Catholic church do NOT teach the same core doctrine, which, as a Bible-believing Christian, many will agree is an essential to being called Christian.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Kim

I am of the impression that to be called "Christian" you were to believe in Christ and we most certainly believe in Jesus Christ, even His name is in our full title of our religion ;)  We do consider ourselves Christian and it's irritating (to say the least) when others say we aren't but don't know much about our beliefs.

Somebody a few posts back said we don't believe He was crucified and I wanted to correct and say we DO believe He was crucified and when he was resurrected, he visited the people in The America's as he stated in The Bible (Other sheep have I), before accending into Heaven. :) 

Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2007 at 11:10am

To Whom it may concern:

Please read the book when you get a chance called "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, and It's All Small Stuff"

Kim

Edited by Campmomx4
dollylimabean View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2007 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by keegans_mommy keegans_mommy wrote:

[QUOTE=Campmomx4]

Somebody a few posts back said we don't believe He was crucified and I wanted to correct and say we DO believe He was crucified and when he was resurrected, he visited the people in The America's as he stated in The Bible (Other sheep have I), before accending into Heaven. :) 

Sorry, my mistake. I must have gotten the doctrine mixed up with one of the other religions I have explored.

I think I was pretty clear when I posted that my sentiment was not anti-LDS, but rather trying to answer the question as to why some people may not lump them in the "Christian" category. Some peoples' definition of the word "christian" is more narrow than others. You'll get that in a lot of cases about a lot of subjects.

I find LDS fascinating, personally. It just isnt the path I have chosen.

Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2007 at 4:15pm

Have a great day!

Kim

Edited by Campmomx4

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2007 at 6:04pm
Campmama,

Im not sure why you seem to think that
a. I am arguing
and
b. I am seeking out LDS homeschooling curricula or complaining about
LDS being sectioned off.

Someone asked a question and I proposed a respectful answer to their
question, making certain, twice in fact, to explicitly express that I have no
investment in the subject one way or the other.
If you have some kind of issue with people arguing about religion, I can
understand that. I just dont see anyone here being argumentative and I
most certainly dont perceive my answers as such. Sorry you feel
otherwise. Please feel free to stop reading any posts of mine you find
offensive.
Sincerely,
Heather
Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Sep/2007 at 5:10pm

Hi Heather,

I am sorry. I meant to write my answer to the original question, to Keegan's Mommy. I think you were trying to quote me and I got confused.

I hope Keegan's Mom will read all our respectful answers that had to do with homeschooling.

Thanks for correcting me.

Your friend,

Kim, not CAMPMAMA  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Sep/2007 at 5:33pm
Oops, I misread and/or mistyped your name. Sorry bout that.
YouMeUs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Sep/2007 at 10:09am
Wow, this thread took a no fun turn.  Let's all get out our laminated kids and pose them in such a way that they are hugging a tree.  

campmom, for many people it is difficult to differentiate between homeschool and religion.  It's simply one and the same for them, and by talking about religion, they are talking about their homeschool.  I don't think anyone needs to close this thread, there is no hate or intolerance here.   If you are looking for a community that discusses only homeschool and nothing else;this isn't it, but it's the closest I've found.

I don't think Keegansmom was offended when she asked her original question, just curious.  This question has been asked by a few people in this forum, and probably by many more in their own heads.  (like me)

This isn't meant to be derogatory in any way, but it will come out that way so please take it in the nicest possible way.  It has been my experience that many homeschooling families that homeschool specifically for Christian purposes do not feel any belief system different from their own is even remotely valid.  This is not true of all Christian homeschooling families, just those that are fundamentally christian in their homeschool purpose.  Because of this, I feel anything other than your garden variety of Christianity was lumped here in the 'other' category so as not to be a distraction from their core beliefs. After all, there are FAR more Christians homeschooling than non-Christians.

I know I can certainly understand them not wanting to hear about the Goddess or full moon rituals, but I guess the lines can become grey and blurry when it comes to a Christ centered religion that grows just outside their garden walls.

This is only my opinion and I hope that I make some sense.  Perhaps we should head over to the Christian forum and ask this same question of them to get a different perspective.  However, I think that's already been done there too.
Campmomx4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Sep/2007 at 10:49am

Dear Youmeus,

Please forgive me, but I thought I had tried to answer a legitimate question that came up on the active list. I am still confused why you are talking about laminated children--I know it's a funny joke, and all the other confusing things made me think that they should close this particular 2 paged topic Entitled:"Hate to Rock the Boat". It was just my opinion at the time.

I guess there is a difference of opinion about how to define Christianity, and the purpose of the divisions.Thanks for your straight input. I will leave this part of the forum now. You can have the "other faiths" section back;I hope you didn't think I was interfering. I was actually just waiting for Keegans mom to answer.

Thanks.

Kim

YouMeUs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Sep/2007 at 11:04am
Kim,
The laminated kids joke comes from a post a long time ago.  The particular post was from a message board troll that wanted to call protective services on her neighbor for homeschooling their children.  Like many posts on this message board the thread started in one place and ended someplace completely different.  Much like this thread.  Much like real life conversations.  As for closing threads, the only threads I ever see closed around here are spam.

Because we are all individuals, we all will interpret the definition of a spiritual path differently than our neighbor.  This, in my opinion, does not make my neighbor wrong, just different.  Because I feel this way I do not feel you were interfering in any way and would hate to think that you felt run off. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Sep/2007 at 11:04am

Sorry! I didn't mean to abandon ship!  :)  I've read through everybodies replies and I am not offended, just have differing beliefs and I have corrected one persons incorrect thought about the LDS belief so  it's all good!

I guess I won't fully understand but I do try!

The curriculum we use is from a Mennonite community and for the MOST part, we agree with what they believe in as well as it's mostly non-denominational Christian.  We really like it! It's called, "Christian Light Education".  We consider ourselves Christians, read from the King James version of the Bible, believe it all happened and love Christ with all our hearts! :) 

I am OK if this thread dies! Heaven knows I started it a long time ago! LOL  But again, I am not feeling upset or offended by anyone who has participated in my thread and I will leave it alone unless somebody asks me a question :)

Thank you ladies!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Sep/2007 at 1:01pm
It's a little bit confusing when people go back and edit their posts after
people have replied to them. It makes the conversation look disjointed and
creates the illusion that subsequent posts are non-sequitors. How long are
people able to go back and edit posts? Other boards Im on only allow that
for an hour after the initial post is made.
o&lsmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Jan/2008 at 12:57pm

Just found this post and was wondering, Keegans mommy, if you would like a parrot for your ship. I mean I don't exactly have a parrot, but I do have a real nice chicken. It's not green either, but it does lay nice green eggs. You probably don't want it to sit on your shoulder 'cause chickens aren't exactly choosey about where they do their business, if you know what I mean.

Maybe it should sit on YouMeUs's shoulder. Then Cardella would only have to clean up one mess.

Anyway let me know if you want the chicken.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Jan/2008 at 5:32am
Originally posted by o&lsmom o&lsmom wrote:

Just found this post and was wondering, Keegans mommy, if you would like a parrot for your ship. I mean I don't exactly have a parrot, but I do have a real nice chicken. It's not green either, but it does lay nice green eggs. You probably don't want it to sit on your shoulder 'cause chickens aren't exactly choosey about where they do their business, if you know what I mean.

Maybe it should sit on YouMeUs's shoulder. Then Cardella would only have to clean up one mess.

Anyway let me know if you want the chicken.

I forgot about this post LOL  I guess I should take what I can so it's a chicken that lays green eggs for my ship :D

Hey! I just noticed you are from Idaho. I grew up there in the Blackfoot area, just outside of town. :)

o&lsmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Jan/2008 at 11:45am
I'm up north near St Maries. My chicken is freezing her toes off. We have -15 degrees this morning. Brrrrr.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Jan/2008 at 12:03pm

Originally posted by o&lsmom o&lsmom wrote:

I'm up north near St Maries. My chicken is freezing her toes off. We have -15 degrees this morning. Brrrrr.

Northern Idaho huh?  I use to live in South Eastern Idaho  :)  My family still lives there and I have some in Twin Falls and Boise.

Kimkat34 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Jan/2008 at 1:21pm

Now all you need is some green ham and that Dr. Seuss cookbook.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Jan/2008 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Kimkat34 Kimkat34 wrote:

Now all you need is some green ham and that Dr. Seuss cookbook.

We sometimes make green eggs and ham around here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic