fb track

2 children under 3

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Celtic Lady 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Celtic Lady
    Participant

I have a 2 year old that LOVES to learn & I have had educators tell me that some of what he knows is equivilent to a 6-7 year old. Everyone is telling me “Preschool” but I think he would be bored & would lose his passion to learn. I want him to keep soaking up anything that I can teach him as long as he is interested, but I don’t know where to start. Where do I go to teach him how to read & what type of curriculum K-2 has for reference. I also have a 1 year old that learns differently but is very interested in books, learning shapes, etc. & I would like some advice on what I should be teaching her so she can keep excelling. Does anyone have some advise to guide me in the right direction for both children? I greatly appreciate it!!!

elliemaejune
    Participant

I can’t think of anything I could recommend for preschool-age children as far as “curricuum” is concerned that would be better than the kinds of things that mothers ordinarily with their children.

Remember that preschools mostly cater to the children of parents who are at work all day. The schools have to recreate the warm, nurturing environment of home, trying to reproduce the natural, daily learning that occurs there.

Your children are so very young. Pay attention to your instincts that tell you that your ds would be “bored and lose his passion for learning.” Let him be a child. Read aloud to him from books as often as he’ll let you 🙂 but don’t try to recreate a preschool in your home, and don’t try to keep him entertained all day. Both dc can begin to learn how to be involved in household activities; picking up their toys, helping with the laundry, emptying the dishwasher, tidying up the bathroom, dusting the furniture, planting a garden, are all things which develop fine motor skills and hand to eye coordination, and also provide lots of opportunities for mother-child interaction…and *that* not only strengthens your relationships with them but builds their vocabularies.

To educate yourself, you could look for books in the library on Montessori, Charlotte Mason, John Holt, and Mary Hood. They could rock your world 🙂

mousetower
    Participant

Play games! If you are a TV family, get the leapfrog DVDs and sing the songs. Read books about whatever the kidsa re interested in, let them pretend to read to you. I will tell you (I wish someone had told me) that there is a point where kids will learn all the letters and letter sounds and they just cannot put the sounds together to make words. It is a purely developmental thing. It will come, don’t worry, but in that time learnign sight words is helpful.

The biggest thing is to make it fun or a game. Like instead of saying “lets get in the car” say, “let’s get in the C-A-R” Help your son count things and draw. Point to letters and words in the world around you.

Hope this helps-

mia

onyxravnos
    Participant

for you read read read. Find every book at the library about homeschooling and borrow it to look through. They are all for older kids (at least 5ish) but read them anyway so you can get a good idea about what you want to do and how it can be done.

I rather like “The First year of homeshcooling your child: your complete guide to getting off to the right start” (available at B&N, amazon.com) Just for starters. There are lots of ‘ways’ to homeschool but for little kids all the methods pretty much agree that reading to them, play time, and singing is the most important way for them to soak it up.

Personaly I need a bit of structure so I can get stuff going so I have several waldorf-ish programs that i use and just adjust for age and ability. Totaly not required but I found it helpful for me just starting out.
    I use a mix mostly of Little acorns (littleacornlearning.com) and Sessons of Joy (which i’ve misplaced the link to)

PM me if you want to swap / get ideas for toddler preschooling 🙂

onyxravnos39777.52625

Celtic Lady
    Participant

Thank you to all for the advice:)

kewkew
    Participant

Hi,

I have actually come across recommendations for websites

on these message boards, so maybe you’ve already seen

them too. However, I was going to start the free

curriculum on the http://www.letteroftheweek.com website. My

daughter who is almost two knows most of her letters.

She can name them when we play with her magnetic letters

or when I write them. She can also pick out letters in

books. She can repeat some of the sounds and give signs

for some of the letters. But I thought it would be good

to work on each one individually and focus on the

sounds. I came across this website a couple of days

ago. They have a nursery curriculum, a steps to reading

program, a kindergarten curriculum and a primary

curriculum. I am going to work on th nursery curriculum

with my 6 month old and the steps to reading with my 23

month old. The Steps to Reading program has 1 hr

scheduled during the day.

I also am taking steps to create a Native Reading

environment as explained in the book “Native Reading:

How to Teach Your Child to Read, Easily and Naturally

Before the Age of Three” by Timothy D. Kailing. I have

only just come across this book so I am not sure how it

will all go, and it seems I need to have started sooner,

in infancy. But I also like the look of “Teach Your

Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons” by Siegfried

Engelmann.

I also have been working on signing with my daughters.

I believe one of the reasons my older daughter is

communicating so well is that we have used signs from a

very young age.

I also just read read read to her. She brings me books

one after the other after the other after the

other…you get the idea. We do projects, coloring

sheets, puzzles, matching shapes and colors, building

blocks.

Another website I was introduced to on these boards is

http://www.progressivephonics.com. It looks interesting, but

one problem I noticed right away is that it doesn’t

start with the letters that have continuous sounds. I

would recommend reading the book by Siegfried Engelmann

and also the book by Wiley Blevins called “Phonics From

A to Z: A Practical Guide. Even if you just use these

books to get an understanding of how phonics should be

taught. I found them very educational.

Celtic Lady
    Participant

Wow! Thank you soooo much for the sites & recommended readings:) I will check them out. It sounds like we are doing the same things & getting positive results so that is fantastic! My husband is a stay at home dad & he works with both kids a lot doing the same type of projects that you discussed. Thanks again for all of the information!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register Here