HELP

This topic contains 8 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Susan 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

cherimac
    Participant

This is my second year homeschooling and I think it will be my last. I cry way to much over this. I have a 9 1/2 yo DS, 8 yo DD and 5 1/2 yo DS. I do practically nothing with the 5 yo. The other two just want to do the bare minimum and then play game cube or watch t.v. These are no nos with me, but they complain about it. Then they want to run through the house and pick on one anonther. They don’t get involved in projects and independant reading that other homeschool children seem to. We do math, reading, writing, and history. We are also reading biography together. Should I get a complete package like sonlight? Am I doing too much? I worry about their learning and their dad isn’t happy with how homeschooling goes, even though I think they’re smart kids. I’m just so down right now that I’d love that yellow school bus to take them away.

Any help?

Thanks,

Tabz
    Participant

hugsss.. I know it’s hard, but hang in there. You and your husband are the single biggest influence in their lives. Boys are boys, and most boys would love to be a thousand miles away from any kind of school work. They need structure and so do you – it sounds like you don’t have anything to really measure success on. A curriculum can provide you the amount of work they need to do in a day and tests you can show how they’re doing.

Remember what Alexander’s mom said, “Some days are like this, even in Australia” – “Alexander’s Terrible, Horrible, Not Good, Very Bad Day”.

Consider hooking up with other homeschool moms in your area for support. If your husband is concerned talk to him about teaching a couple things (like math) in an “off” time. No one said school had to be in the morning or on weekdays!

Make sure you’re taking time for yourself too. A nice hot bubble bath, time alone with your husband – all of that can really help when you feel emotionally drained.

cherimac
    Participant

Thanks so much. I do mix and match my curriculum and have decided to maybe go with Sonlight or something like it next year to have more of a measuring stick. DH is great, he’s just always wanting to know if they’re ‘at grade level,’ whatever that is. You are just the breath of fresh air I needed.

psteensma
    Participant

Know that you are not alone! Don’t be discouraged…have you tried to schedule your subjects hardest first ? It was my goal to get through 2 subjects without a break; then after 15 min., do another subject…but many of us have had those moments of dispair and doubt. I heard a saying that, “homeschooling is as good as the mother’s attitude.” Be focused and don’t lose your sense of humor.

winniedapooh
    Participant

Tune into thier interests….let what they enjoy help you to pick their curriculm. I know with my daughter so many things can spark her interest. Relax….I believe the biggiest role a parent can play is showing them the fun of learning. T.V. is a no no if that is all they are doing, but what about using it to introduce them to learning. There are shows…Discovery Channel, PBS, learning cartoons (such as Magic School Bus, etc) that can lead to wanting to learn more and then head to the library. I take my daughter there a couple of times a week. She picks what she wants and explores all sorts of things. Remember your kids learned many things without force…do you kids talk, walk, eat with utensils. Did you have to struggle to get them to learn these things? I suspect they saw the benefit of learning.

Perhaps you need a new approach….but don’t give up!!!!

Good Luck…..Debbie

justcardi
    Participant

Cheri, how are things going now? It has been over a month and a half since you posted this. I was just wondering if you still feel the same or if you are feeling much better about homeschooling. You stated that your children are “smart kids”. That has to mean something to you, so hold on to that. Set rules for the television and video games. I’ve seen a lot of people on these boards state that there is no television or video games until after a certain time each day. We don’t have television and I don’t allow video games in my house, so it isn’t much an an issue for me. However, I do have those moments, like most homeschoolers, when I wonder if I am doing the right thing. Sometimes I want to give up. It is at these times when I hold onto that one little thing (“I think they’re smart kids”) that keeps me doing this. Your children want to learn things, but it may not always be what you want them to learn. Maybe, as Debbie stated, you should try a different approach. What part of your lessons do they like and what don’t they like? You can have them make a list of things that they want to learn and pick a few off the list that everyone is interested in and do unit studies. Maybe some independent study for the older children while you work with your 5 yo would be beneficial. Make up games together and play them. Have your two older children play a game together while you work with your 5yo for an hour each day. This will give you time with your 5yo and the older children will practice getting along with eachother. Also, check out these websites for fun online curriculums;

http://www.time4learning.com I use this with both my girls, ages 5 and 10. They direct themselves through the program. My 5yo spends about 45 minutes a day 4 days a week on this program for language arts and math. Occasionally, we do the social studies and science lessons. My 10 year old works on it for about 1 to 2 hours each day 4 days a week. We are done for the year and have our account on hold until we are ready to start again in the fall. You can use this program year round if you like.

http://www.cosmeo.com We also use this program to supplement time4learning and our other activities. This one is only $99 a year and offers videos in English, Math, social studies, science, health, and art.

Shari, I truly hope that you rediscovered why you are homeschooling and that you can hang in there. I wish the best for you and your family.

Cardella

justcardi
    Participant

I wanted to add that you can also do magazine subscriptions. I love the Cobblestone magazines. http://www.cobblestonepub.com They have a variety of magazines for different age ranges and they are all quality magazines. Check them out. Kids love getting their own subscriptions, so it may be worth getting each child his/her own subscription. Maybe you can get your dd ASK (Art and Science) and your older son Appleseeds (a social studies magazine) and they can exchange.

Another resource is http://www.scholastic.com . They also have magazines. We subscribe to scholastic news 2 and scholastic news 4. You can get each of your children a subscription based on his or her grade level. They combine current events with other subjects. It Over the course of the year, it will cover language arts, math, social studies and science. It is in newspaper format (very much like Weekly Readers). The prices listed on the website are for schools. You can expect to pay about $7 for each subscription, but it is well worth it. Dynamath is pretty good, too, but it is more expensive ($28/ year). There are other magazines that may be of interest to you and your children. You can have samples sent out.

These are just ideas and you may come up with ideas based on these. For instance, you may want to try Weekly Reader instead of Scholastic News or get Discover Magazine instead of ASK. Or you may not want to do any of it. You will find what is best for you if you haven’t already. And maybe others will benefit from these posts as well.

Cardella

Cardella

cherimac
    Participant

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m feeling better these days. I had to test my children for our state requirements and they did very well which is a relief. I am also reading a book by Ruth Beechick which is encouraging me to find some everyday ways to teach that are fun and beneficial. Plus, I realize I just love having them around me. Y’all made some great suggestions that I’m going to try with the kids too. I need to realize that we can vary approaches and not be “just like school.”

Thanks again!!

Cheri

Susan
    Participant

Cheri,

One book that has really helped me is “Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves,” by Alison Mckee. I’m glad you’re feeling better.

Susan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register Here