fb track

Leaving the student home alone

Home Forums Homeschooling Support Boards Single Parent Homeschoolers Leaving the student home alone

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  sapphire68 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

MusicalCows
    Participant

Hi, my name is Sarah and I’m 15 years old and interested in homeschooling.

My mom, a single parent, is all for it, but she works and doesn’t want to

leave me alone all day. It’s not that she thinks I won’t be safe or anything- I

stay home alone all the time. She just wants to make sure I’m not being anti-

social and lonely.

Once I can drive (January) I can probably get a job or go do other things

during the day, but I can’t stand staying in public school until then.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do, places to go, etc. on my

own so my mom can still go to work and ease her worrying mind?

grateful4grace
    Participant

Hi Sarah,

I understand where your mom is coming from. If you are the only child in a single parent household you spend plenty of time alone already. Lots of time alone just isn’t very good for anyone. Too many temptations not to get work done or to spend time unfruitfully… I have found that more than a couple unparented hours and the work ouput goes down in quality and quantity which just means that then he has to work longer later to make up for it.

That being said, I have homeschooled as a single parent for about six years. It can be done but does require some effort. My son has done several different things. Sometimes he goes to work with me. A few years ago he spent two days a week with another homeschooling family. I only work part time so I’ve never had to find somewhere for him to go 5 days a week. My older daughter started taking commuinity college courses in her senior year so that she didn’t have so many hours at home. That could be done in the junior year as well.

If the situation at school is unbearable …could you volunteer to help out a friend or neighbor with their younger children in exchange for them allowing you to hang out and providing a quiet school spot? OR maybe anan older person?? You could help them with stuff around the house in exchange for a spot to work?? How about asking around at your church or a nearby church??

Do you know folks who homeschool?? You’d have to make a plan for what subjects you were going to cover and how you would do that. There are probably homeschool support groups in your area.

Let me know how it goes. I know highschool can be pretty awful. I hope you can find something that will work better for you but not leave you alone every day … even when you are able to drive!

chessie15
    Participant

Hi, Sarah

I also have daughter who is in 8th grade that homeschools, she spends a couple days a week at home and then a couple days a week homeschooling with her cousins. She could go to her cousins everyday but she just needs a couple of days down time by herself, and plus she has a horse that she really enjoys spending time with and taking care of him. we also have three dogs, three cats so she never really feels a lone and her brother gets home from highschool around 2:30. It can work you just need to take grateful4grace’s advise. I think that you will find you are not alone there are a lot more children being homeschooled than you would think. Good luck on your new adventure.

onyxravnos
    Participant

I think the other two posters have pretty much said it all but one thing to add. Perhaps you can talk to your mom about a trial period, together you can come up with a curriculum plan for you and then give it a month at first to see how it goes. then adjust things if needed and try another month so on and so on.

sapphire68
    Participant

Is it possible for you to join a local homeschool group? Maybe they would have functions in the evenings that you could both attend together. I’d be very careful letting others know that you are home alone most of the day or someone may report you to the state and that could cause problems.

I think you should HS and stay home alone if it’s something you know you could do. No child should have to go to a school if they don’t want to. And as long as you are self-disciplined and will do your assignments then I don’t see why it would be a problem.

CNBarnes
    Participant

sapphire68 wrote: Is it possible for you to join a local homeschool group?

That’s a possibility – but I don’t know of many hs groups that do “drop offs” (our term for it). Maybe once in a while for the odd circumstance is ok, but not as a routine event.

I’d be very careful letting others know that you are home alone most of the day or someone may report you to the state and that could cause problems.

That is a very, VERY good point and something that needs to be kept in mind.

Example: when our daughters were 16, 15, & 13 (even the youngest was babysitting other people’s kids), my wife and I drove up to Dallas to take my mother out to dinner for her birthday. Dallas is about 4 hours away. We lived on a street that had a city “code enforcement officer” that we nicknamed the “street nazi” – because of her over zealous enforcement of things like basketball goals in the street (a cul-de-sack). Anyway, she dropped by while we were gone and upon noticing the kids were “abandoned”, called the local police dept.

The officer who came out was pretty annoyed (at her, not us) because he could plainly see that the kids were old enough to care for themselves for the evening. My oldest did hand him the phone (on the porch) where he asked a couple of questions just to CYA (“when are you coming home? tonight. Ok, that’s fine”).

The point being – even if the kids are perfectly fine being left alone, there will be some CPS nazi-types who can make life troublesome.

PS: the code enforcement officer got reassigned to another job within a week of our complaining to the city manager…

I think you should HS and stay home alone if it’s something you know you could do. No child should have to go to a school if they don’t want to. And as long as you are self-disciplined and will do your assignments then I don’t see why it would be a problem.

I agree. After all, which is the lessor of the 2 evils – staying home alone, or being thrust into public school?

Most of us would say ps is the worse of those….

lacedeno
    Participant

I’ve been considering homeschooling one of my boys – currently in 7th grade. I’m a single working parent, he would be home alone during the day. Has anyone been in my situation and successfully homeschooled? I’m seeking some advice, input, experience stories. Please let me know. Thank you.

sapphire68
    Participant

I’m not sure where you are located at, but a lot of places offer homeschool groups and some YMCAs, museums, schools, etc offer classes for homeschooled children to participate in throughout the year. Perhaps you can find a group in your area that has a teen group that gets together. You can make friends that way. You can also try to get a job with a work permit at 15 in some states so that may be an option. You can also volunteer your time somewhere at night and on weekends. There are a lot of opportunities out there. I’d suggest going to Yahoo Groups and googling a Yahoo homeschool group in your area. I’m sure you will find something that way. Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register Here