Reading Eggs Homeschool Product Review
Reading Eggs Product Review
- Grades: Pre-K – Middle School
- Subjects: Reading
- Category: Non-Religious
- Format: Multiple
- Price: Dependent on number of children. Ranges from $9.95/mo to $89.00 for 12 months.
Reading Eggs is a multi-award winning reading program for ages 2 to 13 that uses scientific research to help children learn to read in just weeks! The program was designed by experts to deliver fast and proven results to prepare children for school in the best way possible. Reading Eggs makes learning to read easy and fun! Children make their way through self-paced, one-on-one lessons that match their ability and feature fun characters, wonderful songs, and interactive animations.
Homeschool parents love Reading Eggs! The reason why 91% of homeschool parents using Reading Eggs have seen a noticeable improvement in their child’s reading skills is that the program combines a progressive sequence of highly-instructional learning activities with motivational elements – colorful animations, fun music, and exciting rewards – that keep kids motivated to learn!
How to Use Reading Eggs
Homeschool parents can enjoy detailed progress reports with Reading Eggs, hundreds of full-color activity sheets that correspond with the lessons in the program, printable certificates, and much more.
Reading Eggs can be easily incorporated into a student’s day and works well with the homeschooling lifestyle. There’s no lesson planning required at all. The program is fun and children can earn prizes and rewards on the platform as they go. They’re so busy having fun, they forget they’re “doing school!”
Designed for children aged 2-13, Reading Eggs consists of multiple learning areas, including:
- My Lessons – 120 reading lessons each consisting of a variety of instructional activities. Learn more about the content of each lesson.
- Storylands – features 20 lessons with a focus on developing reading, vocabulary and comprehension skills. Storylands also includes 20 wonderful books and lots of fun rewards. Learn more about the content and skills covered in Storylands.
- Spelling – 96 carefully graded spelling lessons that develop a wide range of spelling strategies. Learn more about the content covered in Skills Bank Spelling.
- The Story Factory – children can write their very own story books and choose full-color illustrations to match their story.
- My Program – at the completion of a reading lesson children are recommended four e-books to read that match their reading level.
You can sign up for a FREE trial of Reading Eggs, giving you full access to the program. Upon signing up your child can also take the free reading test that will place them at the appropriate lesson according to their reading ability.
Before you sign up, you can try sample lessons of Reading Eggs for FREE here.
Reading Eggs Program Features
Reading Eggs instructs homeschoolers in the five core literacy areas outlined by the National Reading Panel as essential components of reading instruction. These include:
- Phonemic awareness – children learn the necessary listening skills to become aware that speech is made up of sounds and that these sounds make words, syllables and phonemes.
- Phonics – each letter of the alphabet is introduced in its own lesson with a focus on reinforcing letter-sound relationships and highlighting the alphabetic principle.
- Fluency – children develop the rapid word recognition skills essential for reading fluency, including learning to instantly recall crucial sight words that make up 50% of elementary level books.
- Vocabulary – new words are introduced with visual support to provide context and increase word knowledge and retention.
- Comprehension – reading for meaning is the end goal of Reading Eggs. The program includes over 2000 e-books, each with their own comprehension quiz.
Reading Eggs Pros & Cons
Reading Eggs Pricing Information
Reading Eggs offers a monthly subscription for $9.95 a month or annual subscriptions. For annual subscriptions, parents can choose between a $59 plan or $89 family plan. The $59 plan covers 12 months of access, while the $89 plan allows for 2-4 children with 12 months of access. The program offers a free trial for the monthly subscription choice.
What age is Reading Eggs for?
- “Reading Eggs is designed for 2–13 year olds. The program begins at an absolute beginner level, so children need no prior knowledge to start. There are three programs within Reading Eggs – Reading Eggs Junior for 2–4 year olds, Reading Eggs for 3–7 year olds and Reading Eggspress for 7–13 year olds.”
My child is not at school yet and can’t read at all. Can my child use the Reading Eggs program?
- “Yes, Reading Eggs starts at the beginning and teaches every skill your child needs to learn to read. Children as young as three can use the program to prepare for their first years of school. With younger children, it’s best for lessons to be done more than once as young children love repetition and replaying lessons will really support their learning. Reading Eggs lessons can be replayed as often as you like.”
My child is struggling with reading. Can Reading Eggs help?
- “Some children don’t enjoy reading because of early failures, while other children struggle to retain the many skills and concepts needed to become successful readers. Working on the computer or tablet device is a great way for children to build skills. They can progress at their own rate and if they are having problems, lessons can be repeated as many times as they want. The program has been successful for children with learning difficulties, autistic spectrum disorder and other struggling readers. For children with reading difficulties, repetition is one of the keys to success, and the Reading Eggs games and activities are fun to do, so children will enjoy repeating them.”
How does Reading Eggs teach my child to read?
- “Reading Eggs unlocks all aspects of learning to read for your child, focusing on a core curriculum of phonics and phonemic awareness, sight words, vocabulary, comprehension, and reading for meaning. The program is based on solid scientific research and focuses around the five essential keys to reading success – phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, comprehension and fluency. For a more detailed overview of how Reading Eggs works, click here.”
What about writing?
- “Reading Eggs activity books are another great Reading Eggs resource. These books include a matching writing lesson for every reading lesson. These full-color activity books are an excellent way to reinforce and extend what children are learning online. Find out more about our book products here. The link between reading and writing is a strong one. Research shows that the act of writing is an excellent way to reinforce reading and phonic skills.”