iD Tech Coding and Programming Courses Product Review
Homeschool.com’s Product Reviews
Ages 10 – 18
iD Tech is an online resource that offers many options for the homeschooling family. The site offers programming courses in languages like Java, C++, Python, and iOS app development, and also Game Design tracks including Minecraft Modding and other popular 2D and 3D platforms. The courses are designed for kids and teens ages 10-18.
We reviewed a coding course. But iD Tech also offers one-on-one tutoring.
What we liked about the course:
- The install process was a breeze.
- This course provides an in-depth, hands-on approach for the iOS beginner.
- It’s thorough – with 8 levels and 24 challenges.
- There is a clear goal and the chapters break down uniformly with a good length for each section.
- The course is easy to follow with clear buttons and next steps.
- The characters interact with the flow of the course.
- The animation is age appropriate and engaging.
- The program is easy to pause as you check your work or rewind it to watch a section again.
- Being able to pause and look at the code is a nice feature.
- The questions are relevant to the course section that you just completed. This encourages interaction and reinforces what you learned in the chapter.
- There are great fact sheets that provide for more explanations and digging deeper into the material.
- You don’t feel rushed – you can go at your own pace.
- You can leave the course and come back easily right where you left off.
- If your student needs a little help s/he can get it. iD Tech courses have built-in hints to help get students past tough concepts. Need further help, or just want to talk to a fellow human? You can start a chat with one of their Live Coaches. Or, your student can visit the social forums and ask, browse, and answer questions and seek help from his/her fellow peers.
- You get to see the apps that you helped build run in simulation mode on your computer live while you do the course – which is very rewarding.
- Students are taught how to build TWO functional mobile apps.
- The platform gives you enough ideas to create your own apps off of the course and try your own things – again, very rewarding.
- It’s affordable!
- The program is fun – and fun is always good!
Fun, educational, STEM-oriented – you might want to check out iD Tech and their course offerings.