Virtual Learning Academy
Homeschool.com’s Product Reviews
Unlimited Course License Fee (365 Days), $375 per student, with sibling discounts
The Virtual Learning Academy offers an accredited online distance education for students in all 50 states and throughout the world. To date, over 60,000 students have studied with VLA.
Offering over 100 courses in grades K-12, Virtual Learning Academy courses are fully aligned to Ohio’s Academic Content Standards, which are rooted in the National Academic Content Standards. VLA understands that homeschoolers go beyond the core—and this is certainly possible at VLA, as parents manage all coursework, projects and assignments.
Virtual Learning Academy courses are:
- In the categories of Business, English/Language Arts, Family & Consumer Sciences, Fine Arts, Health, Math, Science, Social Studies, Technology, Test Preparation, and World Languages
- Flexible, customizable, and interactive
- Updated for current and relevant material on an ongoing basis
- Designed to promote reading and the ability to analyze and articulate thoughts
- Designed so that parents manage the coursework, projects and assignments
- Self-paced (always nice)
- Designed to work well with all learning styles — created to use an Active Learning Style
- Composed of streaming video, audio and podcasts, and pdf downloads (I like the pdf option)
- Full credit courses — 36 weekly units and assigned for one school year
- Half credit courses — 18 weekly units and can be completed in one semester
- Each weekly unit takes approx. 4 hours to complete (for a total of 144 hours for 1 course credit)
- Every VLA course has individual unit assessments, as well as the option to “test out” with a Comprehensive Course Exam (very nice—no reason for kids to take classes they don’t need)
- Flexible for special needs students
- Easy-to-use Learning Management System included
- Accessible online 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- The Virtual Learning Academy offers interesting courses/ lessons . For instance, American Musicals (one of my favorites), is part of the course, Introduction to Theatre I. Pedometer and Walking Activities is a lesson included in the course: HEALTH, PE.
Learn more about VLA on these links:
Virtual Learning Academy—an easy and effective way to fulfill your family’s homeschool curriculum needs.