Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJudaism based program?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lapidus Family View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Judaism based program?
    Posted: 08/Nov/2006 at 10:41pm

Shalom!  I am a Brit with fraternal twin boys born 02/07/02 - which to this date is about 4 1/2yrs old. Thus far they have enjoyed pre-k in an Early Learning Center 3x mornings per wk based in our local Synagogue at a 6:1 ratio.  We live in MA and I am seriously considering home-schooling my lads instead of putting them in Kindergarten in our local New Jewish Academy next September 07.  We are reform tho very happy in a conservative environment. Ihave some basics to speak, read and write Hebrew (I lived in Israel 4yrs - in fact the boys were born in Israel).  I should like to know if there is some place I can get info to build our beliefs into the curriculum - or any advice that anyone could lend us! Thanks for your help. If anyone wants to chat about homeschooling, that would be great too! Joy

Rachel161 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Nov/2006 at 8:21am

Hi Joy, and welcome,

Unfortunately, there are very few Jewish families who frequent this forum.  However, I'm Jewish and have found no actual Jewish curriculums anywhere.  Obviously, there are Torah studies but nothing that encompasses our basic beliefs in other areas, like math, English, social studies, etc. like the xtians do.  I can't say that they absolutely don't exist, but outside of a yeshiva, I'm not aware of any. 

YouMeUs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/Nov/2006 at 11:54am
Raejay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Nov/2006 at 6:04pm
Wow, that's a pretty thorough list!  I often wonder why more people don't know about these programs; the Christian companies are so much in the public eye, and I've noticed that secular companies are starting to become a little more well known-but why is it so hard to find Jewish homeschool companies?
Ima_to_6 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/Jan/2007 at 7:05am

We are also MA and belong to a yahoo group called New England Jewish Homeschoolers.  It is a group that organizes field trips and lends support to Jewish homeschoolers, both observant and non-observant and anything in between.  That might be a good start for getting support and advice. 

My oldest two boys were born in Israel, I lived there for 10 years before relocating to the US, and I'm a mom of twins as well.

Feel free to send a PM through the icon below if you would like more information.

Joy Lapidus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/Jan/2007 at 11:16am

Hello there. Yes, I joined the NEJH tho have been so busy in the last few months getting back to MA from OR where we were for 3 months.  My lads went into a regular pre-k while we were in OR and have picked up some attitudes that they hadn't had before. I thought maybe it was because they were getting older and soon to be 5 but I am not so sure.  Another good reason to seriously consider home schooling!  We are in Worcester and are part of the reform Temple Emanuel Early Childhood Center.  We are waiting to get back into the pre-k program as we gave our spaces  up - the Rabbi thinks maybe next week we will get a call so we can go.  The Solomon Schecter Day School here changed to the New Jewish Academy and is a little more liberal now. That would be the only place I would send the boys for Sept.07 if I decide not to homeschool.  Tough call.  Once we get this month over with (we are remodeling and it is very disruptive) I will knuckle down. Plus the boys have just started a new ballet session and gymnastic session at a new facility in Sterling.

I am from the UK originally but have lived in the US since 1991 my husband is American. I am not a citizen, just a perm.alien.  We lived in Israel 1998 to 2002 and moved back when the boys were just 5wks old.  Where do you live?  Its nice to know there are others out there! Joy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic