Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNon Christian curricula

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
YouMeUs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/Mar/2007 at 5:10am
The only excerpt that I've encountered is with Robinson Crusoe, it's adapted for children.  The rest are shorter stories, and of course the novels you purchase on your own.  The lit choices are to cover the wide range of reading levels, you actually get about 50 titles to choose from.  You, of course, could go outside of that list and choose your own, but they just don't have the lesson plan for it.

This history is great, and I'm all about teaching it from the get go.  Just a matter of opinion, really.  They do offer a State history curriculum, but I'm not entirely sure if it's only for virtual schools or if it's something you can purchase as independent.  Geography is tied into the history every step of the way, so no real need for a separate unit.

The way the music is set up, it's fairly easy to do virtually...it's just not age appropriate for us.

I'd never make this investment for kindergarten, too expensive and rigid for a child that young, especially when there are so many other options available.

I have to write in sections...I'd never post if I didn't. 
WishboneDawn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/Mar/2007 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Cat05 Cat05 wrote:

I've been doing a lot of looking at curricula out there, and I find I am wasting a lot of time looking at resources only to find out, 10 minutes into the site or sample materials, that the resource is Christian.  I even ordered a demo dvd from Math-U-See and was surprised to find that they offer a class called Stewardship: A Christian Approach To Personal Finance. I have nothing against Christian curricula--for Christians.  But I am not Christian.  So, what neo-pagan and secular resources are out there?  I'm interested in a list that everyone could use, unless I'm the only loser out here with no idea which resource is which.I know of Goddess Moon Circle Academy, which is pagan.  And K12, which seems to be secular.  Calvert describes itself as nonsectarian, too.Any others?

Oak Meadow I think.

I'm a christian but of the non-creationist, non-fundie type and married to an atheist. Our homeschooling is pretty much secular though we explore lots of mythology, christian, greek, native, etc.

I've found no complete secular curriculums that I cared for (though being an unschooler in trnasition to curriculum may be part of that) but Butch's Secular Homeschooling has quite a few links.

For math we're using mostly Math Mammoth which is a fantastic (and very cheap) series of workbooks for the elementary level. English is Easy Grammar 34 and lots of reading and games.

Science is hard though. I can't tell you how many times I've come across some science curriculum that looked fantastic and then found out it was creationist or ID. And I have no tolerance any more for companies that exclude reference to evolution in an attempt to 'walk the middle ground.'

Edited by WishboneDawn
Cat05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Mar/2007 at 3:55am
Thanks for the links, WD.  Butch's page looks great and very comprehensive.  That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find.  I was starting to think it didn't exist.
MomToAnAngel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Apr/2007 at 9:24am

Originally posted by Cat05 Cat05 wrote:

I have nothing against Christian curricula--for Christians.  But I am not Christian. 

Have you searched online for used textbooks that public schools use? Those are all secular (not religious at all). We have found HBJ, McGraw Hill, and a lot more from used suppliers and are all the things public schools use. Even Amazon.com offers LOTS of secular stuff.

Best wishes
Michelle

Cat05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Apr/2007 at 4:22am
That's a good idea.   Now to show off my ignorance: what's HBJ?
Lorraine Curry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Apr/2007 at 9:35pm
You might want to take a look at my General edition of Easy Homeschooling Techniques. Easy Homeschooling is a literary method that is both easy and low cost. I have removed all the Christian stuff from this edition and added three new chapters by guest authors to replace the Christian stuff ;). The Christian one is in it's third edition and it is subtitled "The REAL How-To Guide." 
jbaveg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/Apr/2007 at 4:01pm

Hey there Cat;

I just wanted to chime in on the K12 thing.  We are using K12 as part of a virtual school for one of our children and there are biblical stories in every year's lit that I can see from 4th grade on.  Which is fine for me since there are also scientist stories as well.  I think it gives the kids that know the stories an unfair advantage over my son but what's a mom to do?  LOL

Also, we are looking into Oak meadow for our daughter.  They seem to be very green based.

YouMeUs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Apr/2007 at 5:13am
There are, I think, three bible stories in the 4th grade lit.  Compared to the overall program it's 3 or 4 days out of the entire year....very easily skipped.  Or taught, as I did it so that my DD would know who Noah was.  LOL

I wouldn't say that it gives other kids an unfair advantage, but some bible stories are ingrained in common speech and would confuse someone if they didn't know it.  For example, it would be sad if someone commented during a heavy rain storm..."better build a boat!"...and your child didn't understand. 

k12 includes some very common bible stories for this very reason, and explains this reasoning before the unit.  None of the stories have moral/religion teachings...just the story for you to do what you will.

The only other place I remember seeing anything close to 'religion' was in history.  Again, it wasn't teaching it, just stating the reason for leaving Europe or order of hierarchy with the king.  I'd be curious to see the earlier grades on history though, and how they handled the middle ages.
vero View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Jun/2007 at 1:58pm

Hi, I have been using Calvert for 2 years , I really like it (I use story of the world for history), but it is too much preperation , I wish they made it easier for the teacher...so with one child it is ok but as I will start with my second and third next year , I am looking for something easier for ME, and secular .

I want to look at K12 , it seems easy to use ,and like every curriculum I can always change or add something, I hope to find someone who uses it so I can look at it, I am in Qatar...a lot of homeschooler here though.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

bighog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Jun/2007 at 5:47pm
I don't mean to butt in here, but in reviewing curriculums for my own daughter, I got to see TRISMS at a homeschool convention.  It's a unit study but we are thinking of using for just history.  I honestly don't know if it's Christian-based or not, but this is what their website says: 

"Christian or not? TRISMS believes that teaching faith to your children is the responsibility of the parent/teacher, rather than the TRISMS curriculum. The curriculum is designed to help students, in their research, understand how religion plays a role in the development and life of every civilization and asks questions that lead the student in understanding their own worldview. Parents are then free to discuss these ideas with their students during these important years when students are developing the worldview and belief system that they will carry throughout their entire life."

Personally I am Christian and my dh is an agnostic from a very religious Muslim family.  
Aslyn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/Aug/2007 at 12:50am
heya...well we are trying out goddess moon circle this year for K..I havent been able to find many people that have used it and those who I did talk to didnt give the review posted here ..at any rate its paid for and we are commited for the year. I REALLY like oak meadow but its pretty pricey for us and having another start k the following school year  I am not sure we could swing it. But I will let ya all know the good bad and ugly as the year goes on with GMCA  
Muttnboofer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/Nov/2007 at 9:33pm
This is our second year for going through Goddess Moon Circles and we're pretty happy with it. Looking over the reviews here I'm starting to wonder what's up.I have no problem getting in touch with someone by email. Sometimes I have to wait a week or so,but I usually get questions and such answered.Of course,we also would probably supplement any bought curriculum with outside stuff so that may be why it's not a problem for us. Also, my husband is Wiccan and I'm kind of a general purpose kitchen witch (although don't consider myself Wiccan).

I just started an un-official GMCA yahoo group for anyone going through them.I haven't even really told many people about it or started to get the word out about it yet,but if you (or anyone else)is interested you can join at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GMCAFamilies/

I'm hoping it will be a good place for families going through them to be able to talk, compare notes, let the folks running the program know how to make it better, maybe hook up with others in the same area just to get together once in awhile, etc.
MrBill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Dec/2007 at 3:04am
Just a FYI. The bible stories start in first grade for the K12 history
program.
We went through egypt and mesopotamia and then on to the Abraham
and his crazy cult, skipping right past fictional floods and stuff thankfully.

They provide the bible stories on CD and to balance it out they have a
stories of greek mythology CD for that first year.

I was kind of put off when I receive the bible stories, but we get the class
over in about 20 minutes, so it hasn't been any big trouble.

We got to draw and color all the Egyptian gods a month earlier so its all
good!

Muttnboofer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Dec/2007 at 10:21am
I came across something that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet. There is a school where you can get either just the curriculum or teacher support/online classes that is supposed to be Unitarian Universalist friendly. It's the Global Village School and is internationally accredited. Looking over their curriculum it's interesting.http://globalvillageschool.org/index.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic