Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhelp needed with quarterly report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
burch68 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: help needed with quarterly report
    Posted: 11/Feb/2008 at 5:58am

Hi, I am already late with my son's quarterly report and I really do not know how to put it together, it's my first time.

My son is in 9th grade and I live in New York State. The school district has given me until 3pm today to get it into the office.

I haven't even turn in my first quarter or 2nd quarter reports. Can someone help me with this please.

Can someone who has done this, can you please send me a sample or anything to help me out.

Thank you very much.

my email is.

deb@ourownspace.net

elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Feb/2008 at 7:48am

I'm assuming you have sent in your IHIP at the beginning of the year?

This if what my friend Amy, who used to live in NY, wrote:

Once you have sent in your LOI, you need to send in an Individual Home Instruction Plan [IHIP]. This is simply a one-page sheet [per child] that lists all subjects required to be taught [see the regs] and what you plan to use for instruction [curriculum, internet, library, co-op, etc etc]. The school district can NOT decide if what you use is “ok”: they can only check to make sure that the subject *will* be taught: YOU are in charge of deciding how to teach. You can unschool in NY if you write up your IHIP correctly :-)

Don’t forget a disclaimer on your IHIP: “These plans are subject to change as needed for the child’s educational benefit”.

You will need to pick 4 dates [somewhat evenly spaced] that tell when you will be sending in your Quarterly reports {Quarterlies}. Pick a time that you know will not be stressful: putting down December as a quarterly date is asking for STRESS, lol! Usually some time the beginning of November,January, March, and end of May/June. Your school year does NOT have to follow the school district’s.

Quarterly reports:

this is basically your IHIP’s subject list, accompanied by how much of your “curriculum” you’ve covered, like lessons 1-50 in a workbook [if using library books, maybe 5 topics covered], and an assessment/grade level. I always put down “satisfactory” even my kid is a flipping genius. Period.

For “hours of instruction”, you are supposed to claim the hours but you are not required to DOCUMENT them anywhere except on those quarterlies and the state is NOT allowed to request “proof” of your hours: they can’t see lesson plans or daily schedules. Simply claim 255+ hours and be done w/ it. Many people use their IHIP that they typed up, copy it into another document, delete what they don’t need, and start updating it :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic