Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWriting Strands vs Meaningful Composition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
supersbg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing Strands vs Meaningful Composition
    Posted: 11/Jul/2009 at 12:27pm
Can anyone give me their opinions on these two writing programs?  I'm looking into a good writing program for my two sons who are 10 and 13.  I really liked IEW, but I just can't afford that. They both struggle with writing as I'm finding most boys do.
Hisservant View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/Sep/2009 at 7:00pm
My oldest daughter really liked writing strands and did well with it. She went on to get a degree in creative writing. My other 3 did not like writing strands. I have tried many other courses. We used IEW one year, and it was good, but then what? Too expensive to keep buying more. We used Wordsmith last year, one daughter did well with it, I don't think my son cared for it. He is like you say the typical boy who doesn't like to write. I got a video program that taught essay writing in 5 steps. Can't remember the name of it. We went through about 5 lessons a day as it was written for slower kids, but the method worked and he can write a 5 paragraph essay. He doesn't like to, but he can. This year the oldest is back home and teaching the younger two to write essays for college, the are 10th and 12th graders. Their older sister is writing her own curriculm but it isn't done yet. I encourage her to finish it because that was the hardest subject for me to teach and I never found a curriculm that I liked.
tsmama24 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/Sep/2009 at 1:51pm
You know, I've never heard of Meaningful Composition.  We tried Writing Strands but weren't crazy about it.  One of the programs that has helped my boys the most is Time4Writing.  They like the interactivity of it, and getting feedback on their submissions from someone other than "mom."  It is taught online by certified writing teachers, and I get the feeling that it is preparing my sons for college writing courses (even though we are still a long way off from those!) 

Best of luck!
Sunflower View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 7:33am

Just like your sons, my son does not like writing.  He also does not like Writing Strands.  This year we are trying Jump In: A Workbook for Reluctant and Eager Writers by by Sharon Watson.  He likes it!  So far so good, but we are only three weeks into school.  This program is a self-guided, child oriented program.  It is written for the student to work through by themselves.  They even write in the book. 

On thing my son does not like is me reading his work.  I made the mistake a couple years ago of being too critical.   I plan to have him work through the book by himself without my input until he does a major project as in a short book report.  At that point I will read his finished report to make sure that he has done all that is required.

Good luck.  I am interested to hear what you decide to do and how it works.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic