Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel
Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community.  We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space

Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst year homeschooling twins!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
darrenandamyse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: First year homeschooling twins!
    Posted: 19/Aug/2009 at 8:25pm
I have twin girls. They had preschool kindergarten last year. I want to homeschool this year. I am not confident they learned enough last year so I was thinking we would do kindergarten review and move on into first grade. I am having trouble choosing which curriculum to use. I am fairly organized and like to have a schedule. Most moms I talk to say miss match this and that. But I don't even know where to begin? Any suggestions. I have heard I just need to start with reading, writing, and math. That's really all they need right now I have heard.

Overwhelmed!!!
CNBarnes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/Aug/2009 at 8:56am
Step 1 is to relax - take a deep breath.   Yes, I know - easier said than done.

Step 2 is to realize that picking a curriculum is not step 1.  Or step 2.  It's not even steps 3 or 4.  In fact, for a K/1st grader, there is a good chance that "no curriculum" is the best choice...

Step 3 is to listen to the advice you have been given in person (they sound like they are guiding you pretty well). 

Step 4 is to begin by creating an environment in your home that is conducive to learning (this is getting to the meat of the post).   The starting point of that is to realize that you need to set your schedule and methods according to what is best for the KIDS - not you.  

(being a little hard here since you indicated that you are "fairly organized and like a schedule")

There are 3 books I recommend as the *starting point* for creating this environment.  I would suggest that not only should you read them, but also your spouse & the kids themselves (when they are a little older).

Personality Plus by Florence Littauer
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
The Way They Learn by Cynthia Tobias
godsrhs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/Sep/2009 at 8:39pm

Hi

I totally agree with Chris' advice

I must say though as a new mom of twins, it is quite an experience and I could not imagine starting off with them. Quite a sense of responsibilty wells up!

Some of the best advice I received though was froma stranger at my first homeschool convention when I stood there overwhelmed by the many choices in a football field sized exhibit hall....

Character comes first...get some good books to help u train in character and you will later be able to teach them ANYTHING.

I like

The Bible, the bible verses, the bible stories...

After that

Shepharding a Childs' heart by Tripp

Growing Kids God's Way by Ezzos

As well as Most Dobson Books

In other words we don't sweat it if Johnny is mean to his sister for the 100th time and I stop Math for a lesson shift "teachable moment" to the way he treats others and why he should be kind.....etc....

That is my 1 cent

Thanks

Barbaraxx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Sep/2009 at 6:21am

Hi,there,

maybe you can register beestar  for them. Beestar offers curriculum-based online programs for school kids. They include Math, English Language Arts (ELA), Vocabulary, Science, Social Studies, and GT (Gifted & Talented) Math exercises. The weekly exercises take short time but can strengthen their skills and provoke interests. my DD is using now.she really likes it. Hope it can help you too.

godsrhs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/Sep/2009 at 10:17am
Thanks so much....i will check it out!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic