fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice ASAP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
need2bgivenadvice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote need2bgivenadvice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice ASAP
    Posted: 06/Oct/2014 at 12:15pm
My parents pulled me out of public school recently. I was sick with the flu so I already had missed a week. It's been a week and a half and I still haven't found the right school. I talked with the superintendent and she said she would transfer my transcripts but however many days I missed would be on my record.

I have minor experience in homeschooling because I was homeschooled for a short time in the 9th grade but the district superintendent offered me all honors classes and my parents thought it would be better for me academically then the independent study I was doing at home.

The state that I live in (NY) is tough on homeschoolers so I need an accredited program because I want a high school diploma. We were looking at Keystone originally but I examined they're courses and what they teach (evolution, darwinism, big bang etc.) doesn't align with the Word of God. One of the reason I got out of public school was because of all that ungodliness being taught and I don't want to go back to that.

I've researched online schools and curriculums but I can't find what I want exactly. Online school seems like the more likely option at the moment, since ordering a curriculum would take some time and I don't have that much time before my absences become too many in number. Curriculums also wouldn't provide me a diploma I believe. I remember filling out and sending those papers that outlined everything I would be studying to the district and they took a long time (time that I don't have.) Between enrolling for online school and buying a curriculum, I don't know what to do. I looked at Sonlight, Alpha & Omega, and Abeka.

I'm looking for an online school/curriculum that offers Christ-centered education, quick enrollment/ordering time, not too easy but not too challenging, reasonable cost, and accredited with a diploma. I don't know how to describe my learning style but I'd say I learn best independently. I'm a straight A student and I was in English Honors 2 in public school but I get easily stressed out and discouraged under a heavy workload, especially if it's uninteresting.

This is all very overwhelming and stressful and I'd like to get it over with as quick as possible. I could use advice from those with experience.

Edited by need2bgivenadvice - 06/Oct/2014 at 12:34pm
elliemaejune View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elliemaejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Oct/2014 at 9:19pm
NY's regulations do not require you to be enrolled in an accredited distance-learning school. You may choose one, of course, but it is not required.

And NY's regs are not all that tough. Really.  There are many words but they don't mean much. Your parents need to comply with the law, and to do so immediately: they have 14 days to send in their Notice of Intent. They do not have to already have your textbooks in hand at that point. The school district will send them the IHIP forms, which your parents must fill in and return within four weeks.

Kudos to you for taking so much interest in your own education; however, your parents are the ones responsible for taking care of the paperwork required by law. 

My *very* strong advice is for them to join HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) immediately if not sooner.

As far as instructional materials, I would not recommend Alpha Omega. ABeka is fine if you like keeping your face in textbooks all the time.

Sonlight does not have an on-line option, but if you think you'd like learning from actual books and not just textbooks, it might be the way to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic