fb track/>
Connect with us
Like Homeschool.com on Facebook Follow Homeschool.com on Twitter Pin Homeschool.com on Pinterest Add Homeschool.com on Google+ Visit Our Homeschooling Forum Visit Our Youtube Channel

Homeschool.com, the #1 homeschooling community. We help you take learning from Ordinary to Extraordinary!
| More
space
Homeschool.com Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Encouragement...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CLCartledge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLCartledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Encouragement...
    Posted: 24/Jun/2017 at 8:19am

As a father of two children with extreme learning differences, I have come to greatly and personally appreciate the area of education.  More than ten years ago, I was told that my son would never learn to read or write and that was a frightening diagnosis for our family.  When my son was diagnosed at the age of 5 and then later tested to have acute and severe dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHD, and auditory processing issues at the age of 10, we did not know what that meant for our child. We had no idea what that would mean for us as parents either. We were fortunate in that he was diagnosed early and also blessed that his mother was and still is a fantastic medical researcher. She went to work immediately searching online and talking to other professionals. 

As a result, my wife and I were forced to homeschool my son using various methods including Orton Gillingham in combination with our own improvisations. We had to change our lifestyle for both of our kids. I'm proud to convey that my son just graduated high school with a 4.4 GPA and completed his first semester of bridge classes at a college earning straight A's and exempting his finals.

The original diagnosis was however true.  He is still unable to read or write in a "traditional" way due to severe dyslexia and dysgraphia but with the use of technology, my son was able to find success in a "traditional" learner's environment.   He leaves for College at the end of this summer with the blessing and relief of two proud parents. My daughter is only 14 but with similar learning issues. Thankfully she is tracking in the same manner as her older brother.

Our story is a long complicated journey of constant vigilance, doubt, depression and frustration.  Success, I'm sure, varies between individuals.  However, I do know that the child's awareness, confidence, and the ability to self-advocate are necessary for their development.  Perseverance is the key to finding success with struggling learners. It was and still is a constant struggle but despite their disadvantages, they have a sense of pride in who they are and what they create. 

I apologize for the lengthy post but I thought I would share some encouragement. Eventually all of your hard work will pay off for your child or student. Imagine where they may be without you.

Edited by elliemaejune - 24/Jun/2017 at 9:18am
HomeofLove4Him View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeofLove4Him Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Jun/2017 at 3:54am
Thank you CLCartledge for sharing your story about your son's journey! :)

~Tasha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic