UnSchooling

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  justcardi 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

quitejaded
    Participant

Sorry! I found a thread for this but there’s something wrong witht he reply. I could not type anything in there!

So here is my question.

Mind you I am just a recently turned 17 year old. In Highschool.

I really hated how school is. You do less than your best so you can get
    a grade. So you can pass. So you can lie your way into college. So you
    can learn something that you probably won’t use once you begin to work
    for the man. I hate how my work has to be agreeable with the TEACHER.
    How I have to write my opinions, but in the way the teacher approves. I
    hate how we analyse novels like we actually know what the author was
    really saying. I especailly love how the teacher implies that you can
    analyse an ambigous work the WRONG WAY.

Anyway, enough ranting. I’ve been reading a lot about unschooling. I
    want to know something. How do you track what your kid has learned?
    Don’t you need to send these things to colleges (if the kid wants to go
    to college)? Has anyone ever totally left their child to be unschooled
    (I can imagine that being a very scary thing to do)? How did they work
    out?

I so wish I were unschooled. I’d be so much happier. There is education
    outside the walls of my highschool and beyond the sounds of the bell,
    that loves to interrupt me in the middle of something interesting.

justcardi
    Participant

QuiteJaded, Before you make the decision about being unschooled, find out what it is all about and be sure you make your choice for the right reasons. Unschooling is a lot of work. It would mean that you are responsible for your own education and what you learn. You’d have freedom to explore your interests and develop your skills in the areas that matter most to you. However, it also means that you need to work. Unschooling isn’t about sitting around waiting for something to happen. It’s about being busy and using every moment to gain or refine skills. My children have time to learn and do things on their own, but they do not have the option to be idle. If you want to get into college, then you will have your work cut out for you. You will have to find a way to distinguish yourself and show the world, but that will be up to you. Yes, people can be totally unschooled, because unschooled simply means that you don’t need a teacher to learn. You teach yourself, whether you choose to use books and workbooks, write book reviews, write compositions, or observe. You choose what, why, and how you learn. You learn to learn. Unschooling is not a new thing; just the term unschooling. If you review history, you will see that Unschooling was very popular among our most famous historical figures. When you get a chance, review the lives of Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Albert Einstein, Frank Lloyd Wright, and others we think as people who have made great contributions to world. You will be surprised as you find out how little formal education these great human beings had. Have fun discovering who was unschooled. John Holt coined the word Unschooled in the 1970’s, but that does not mean that it didn’t exist up until that point. Unschooling is probably the oldest form of education there is. Do a little research if you feel inclined and have fun. Good luck in whatever choice you make.

justcardi
    Participant

QuiteJaded, I wanted to add a bit to answer some of your other questions. Yes, it is a bit scary to leave the education of my children in their hands. I fight the urge everyday to teach them, but I know that they are doing a much better job than I would. They are still young and love my attention. They are also very observant, much more observant than my schooled mind. I read to them all the time. We love to read and both my girls, ages 5 and 9, read well above their so called grade level. They also excell in math and know more historical tidbits than most kids their ages. I see it working, but I do have to check myself periodically so that I don’t interfere with the process. I am part of the process, no doubt, in many ways. I encourage and help when they need it. I buy ingredients, clean up the messes, transport them to various activities, and enforce household values. They do chores and help me cook. My 9 year old daughter loves baking and sewing. I hate to bake and sew, but that hasn’t stopped her from learning. I help out when I can. We keep a portfolio of writing samples, book lists, worksheets, pictures of projects, etc so the school district will have their little proof that my children are learning. When they get older, we will have to discuss our plans for college. I have no doubt that both girls would be accepted to a decent college if that’s what they want. I believe that most colleges place more value on SAT scores and a written essay than they do in highschool grades. Again, good luck to you in whatever choices you make.

quitejaded
    Participant

I wish it were my choice. I just like to think about the future and thought maybe I would unschool my own children.

I wonder tell me what do your own parents and friends and family think of this?

Thanks for the info.

justcardi
    Participant

Quitejaded, I think it is great that you are thinking of the future of your own children at such a young age. My parents actually accept the way my children learn. To be quite honest, I had a tough relationship with my parents up till recently when a lot of tragic event happened in my family. I have discovered that they are the most open minded and wonderful people that I have ever met and am glad to have their support. Most of my siblings accept my unschooling/ homeschooling choices, but I don’t believe they understand what it means. They do agree that my children are well adjusted and intelligent. My best friend/ little sister is so open to it as she sees my children grow, learn and think. She is considering unschooling her own little one. That is my side of the family. Now, my husband’s side of the family is a totally different story. I get a lot of negative vibes as well as comments any time unschooling/ homeschooling comes up. Let’s just say, I don’t feel supported in my decisions by my in-laws. My husband has left the education up to me. Even those who are not supportive of this agree that my girls have an eagerness to learn and exceed grade level expectations in all areas of study. I will only discuss my girls’ education to people who are truly interested in learning how it works. Otherwise, for my inlaws, it is off limits as a topic of discussion. When or if you choose to unschool your dear little ones, be prepared for the critics, but remember why you choose to unschool. I chose to unschool for the same reasons that you are considering it. I did very well in highschool and college. Passing tests is no problem for me, but I can’t say that I learned much in my 17 years of formal education. I want my children to learn, not merely to pass a test, but to LEARN. If you haven’t already, check out my other posts under “Any other unschoolers out there” and “Introduce Yourself”. I truly believe in unschooling. It is the most natural way to learn things.

justcardi
    Participant

P. S. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I’ll be more than happy to discuss unschooling/ homeschooling with you.

quitejaded
    Participant

Thanks.

Well, one question I have is do your kids know how to use negative numbers, yet?

I can understand how they’d get basic arithmetic but what about that other stuff that you’re /supposed/ to know earlier?

justcardi
    Participant

My 5 year old is too young for that, but my 9 year old does understand negative numbers. We learn things as we need or want to. We own a few small businesses and she understands the concept of debt. She can do a lot more complicated math as well. She would be in 4th grade this year. Now, as far as trigonometry; hmm…. will she learn trig? Maybe, if she finds a reason to. I took trig and I couldn’t tell you much about it. I never used it in the “real world”. A lot of what you learn in school, you never use. So why not focus your study on things you WILL use and master it? She may never learn trig, but she will learn how to learn it if she wants to. She knows more than I do in a lot of areas (particularly History) and I have 17 years of formal education. If I taught her, she could only learn what I know. That would be limiting her knowledge base, don’t you think?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register Here