Episode 72: The Importance of Homeschool Handwriting
By: Jamie Gaddy and Homeschool.com
Join Jamie as she interviews Holly Britton, author of the Squiggle Squad handwriting program.
The interview was an amazing opportunity to get some practical pointers for homeschool parents teaching their littles how to write. Here were a few of the tips from the podcast:
- Don’t start too early – let it happen naturally.
- Rely on natural cause and effect. Crayon to paper – fun marks – movement creates something
- Start with building motor skills – shoulder and arm movement – core muscles and sitting
- Shouldn’t focus on WHAT but THAT they are drawing/writing
- Use coloring as a first step – tracing a line
- Don’t worry so much about “making” a letter but just learning letter recognition apart from writing
- Let the child be rewarded by the enjoyment of making a mark and making lines and build on that
- Learning is intrinsically rewarding
- Older children: you can rebuild good foundations by cross-training with other subjects/courses
Other Articles on Homeschool Handwriting
About the Series
Where'd my instruction manual go??? I know we've all wondered that about parenting and homeschooling! Join us as we chat about the big stuff and everything in-between! Helping homeschoolers with practical teaching tips to find all they need to Homeschool and Love it!!