Alpha Omega Publications
Homeschool.com’s Product Reviews
Alpha Omega Publications offers a variety of Christian-based homeschool curriculum in both online and print formats. These include their Monarch subscription plans, Switched-On-Schoolhouse, LIFEPAC, Horizons, and Weaver. AOP also offers Alpha Omega Academy, an online Christian school for grades K-12.
I reviewed their Monarch curriculum. It’s an online homeschool curriculum for grades 3-12. A Monarch family subscription gives you access to 50 online homeschooling courses for up to 3 students in five subject areas. These subject areas include 1) Bible 2) history/geography 3) language arts 4) math and 5) science.
I like Monarch. Specifically, I like that:
- Monarch Bible offers a complete, online study of the Old and New Testaments.
- Using verses from the King James Bible, the lessons cover seven major themes, including theology, the attributes of God, biblical literature, biblical background, Christian growth, Christian evidences, and special themes.
- The curriculum outlines how scriptural concepts apply to other academic areas, giving kids a broad Christian world view.
- Again, as mentioned, a Monarch family subscription includes a lot – 50 courses for up to THREE students.
- AOP offers free placement tests so you can accurately place your kids into the Monarch system – a plus. No wasted time when you start Monarch, and no frustrations, because you picked an incorrect starting point.
- AOP offers a variety of informational/overview and getting started materials. FYI – you can watch an overview of the Monarch curriculum here.
- I appreciate the way the lessons are set up. They are brief, with clear, understandable facts. The lessons are interesting and media-rich, and include great illustrations, video clips, audio files, challenging games, interactive exercises, and more. Interesting is always a plus! And the questions/quizzes after each lesson provide a good review.
- Monarch lessons are up to date. With real-time content, updates are made automatically. Another plus! Always hearing how text books are out-of-date? This isn’t an issue with Monarch.
- The Monarch assignment screens are very useful. The screens show your child’s daily assignments, a curriculum overview, due dates, and more.
- The Teacher’s Dashboard makes it easy to track assignments, as well as your child’s progress. This helps you focus your efforts – you can address and resolve challenges as they arise, reward achievements and celebrate successes in real-time.
- Anytime/anywhere access, with no installation. I really appreciate this, since we often homeschool on the go. And I hate downloading programs to our computer/slowing it down. FYI – Monarch is compatible with most web browsers on both Windows® and Macintosh® operating systems.
- Their secure data storage is very nice. Monarch stores your child’s academic records for seven years after your subscription ends. Accessible anytime, your child’s grades are neatly logged, so you have everything you need to prepare high school transcripts.
- I hadn’t really thought of this until AOP pointed it out – but I do like that this is an eco-friendly, green way of learning (as there’s no need for textbooks, CD-ROM software, or printed copies of assignments).
- AOP offers four budget-friendly plans. I appreciate options! You can pay as you go ($39.95/month) or purchase a yearly plan ($399.95/year for one student). Both options are available for an individual student or as a family subscription (up to three students – $69.95/month or $699.95/year).
- I really enjoy their blog!
I don’t know about you, but I appreciate continuity – being able to stay with the same program – or the same company for YEARS – not having to shop anew for curriculum each and every school year. I REALLY like that AOP offers options that grow with my kids, and that the company offers NUMEROUS options.
You might want to give Alpha Omega Publications a look-see.