ASD Reading Homeschool Product Review
ASD Reading Product Review
- Grades: through 3rd
- Subjects: Language Arts
- Format: Traditional
- Price: $19.99/mo or $199.99/year
How to Use ASD Reading
To get started all you need is a computer or tablet and an internet connection. Then just sign up for a free trial, add a reader account (or more than one) and the ASD Reading program will take care of the rest. If your child is not reading, or have minimal reading and writing skills, then the program will start them off at the very beginning. If your child is capable of reading and writing, there is a short skills survey that will determine the best place for them to begin.
The length of time a child will need to complete the program varies depending on their skills. To complete the entire set of components takes about 12-15 months, assuming a child completes four to five sessions a week. Many children, who are motivated to do more than one session a day can complete the program in as few as 3-6 months.
Sample Lessons for ASD Reading
ASD Reading Program Features
ASD Reading Work Well for Those on the Spectrum because reading does not require spoken language.
Moreover, literacy represents a powerful tool for enhancing the language abilities for all children on the spectrum.
- Almost everything and anything that can be communicated via spoken language can be communicated via written language. In other words, the benefits that flow from language can come from either modality—spoken or written.
- Written language offers major advantages over spoken language. Children on the spectrum are highly visual so that the visual print of the written page is more “user-friendly.” Unlike speech, it is set, stable and unmoving – giving the child control over the pace at which the incoming information is processed (in contrast to the rapid, relentless flow of auditory language).
- Unlike spoken language, children find written language to be appealing. There is a reason why so many children—even at two and three years of age—love the little plastic letters that hang on refrigerators and magnet boards. Our failure to take advantage of this motivation has had tremendous and unnecessary costs for the children’s development. We have essentially ignored another key path to language.
If you have doubts that “non-verbal” children can master written language, take a look at some of the books written by non-speaking individuals with autism such as Ido in Autismland and Carly’s Voice: Breaking through Autism. They show the amazing language skills that “non-verbal” children can attain. The children may be “non-speaking,” but they are certainly not “non-verbal.”
ASD Reading Pros and Cons
ASD Reading Pricing Information
When you sign up for ASD Reading, you receive a free 30-day trial unless you choose an immediate billing option.
Pricing is as follows:
- 1st student is $19.99/month, or $199.99 per year (20% off) with a 30 day trial. If you pay at the time of signup (skip the trial) it is only $14.99/month or $149.99/year.
- Each additional student is $9.99/month, or $99.99 per year (20% off) with a 30 day trial. If you pay at the time of signup for an additional student (skip the trial), it is only $7.49/month or $74.99/year.
You may cancel any of your individual monthly subscriptions at any time. If you are using the 30-day trial and you cancel before the end of 30 days you will not be charged.
The more frequent the sessions, the faster the progress. Children who are not yet in first grade should use the program at least four times per week. Children in first grade and up should use the program five times per week, and, if possible, even more.
The program is designed for a child to do one session per day. If a child wants to do more than one, he or she can.
Each day’s session takes only 15-30 minutes, depending on which lesson a child is doing and his or her proficiency with that particular task.