eSingapore Math Homeschool Curriculum Review
Summary of eSingapore Math Homeschool Curriculum Review:
- Grades: K-5
- Subjects: Math
- Category: Non-Religious
- Format: Online
- Price: $96 – $99 per year
How to Use eSingapore Math in Your Homeschool
eSingapore Math is a complete virtual math curriculum that can be used from Kindergarten to 5th grade. It covers all math concepts taught in elementary school in fun, interactive ways. The curriculum was designed by teachers and top product developers for comprehensive math education.
One great thing about this program is that it offers the homeschool parent options. If you are uncomfortable with teaching math yourself, your child can be taught math through eSingapore completely online. You can be confident that they are learning what they need to know through this program.
If, however, you as a homeschool parent want to take a more hands-on approach, you can use the online lessons as a guide and then in turn teach your children yourself. This method of teaching math can be complicated for some who are unfamiliar with it, so it’s great to have the option to learn it yourself before teaching it to your children.
eSingapore Math Highlights
- Provides enrichment & remediation
- Offers self-paced & tutor-guided options
- Is an Adaptive Curriculum:
- DETERMINES baseline knowledge
- ADJUSTS to your child’s unique needs
- PROVIDES the right lessons at the right time
- Uses Games to reinforce lessons
- The Complete Program includes:
- Placement tests
- Instructional videos
- Assisted practice exercises
- Benchmark practice exercises
- Intervention tests
- Grade tests
eSingapore Math Pros and Cons
- Can be used as a complete math curriculum or as a supplement.
- Can be used independently by students or can be used as a guide to help parents teach math concepts.
- The curriculum is adaptive and teaches on the level where the student is, not where a book says they should be, which is great for those who are gifted or those who need additional help.
- The curriculum takes a mastery approach which helps children actually learn the concepts to build upon and not simply learn them long enough to take a test.
- The only con I could find would be for those who are concerned about additional screen time.
Additional Comments from our eSingapore Math Reviewer
“I really enjoyed using this program. This is a great online math curriculum! I love how simple it is to log on and begin the diagnostic testing to discover one’s learning level. The questions are clear and advance quickly as the student answers correctly. The encouragement provided when a wrong answer is submitted is kind and motivating. Programs can be chosen by grade or by topic – ie addition and subtraction, fractions, decimals, etc., so if one needs work on a specific area, you can access what you need.
The instruction videos are very descriptive and easy to understand, and I love that they can be repeated as necessary. Everything is taught in a way to help students retain the information (the mastery approach). For each topic, there is a learning section where the instructional videos come in, an assisted practice section where they drive the concept home, and then the benchmark practice section where the student answers problems to see if the concept is really understood.
The colors and graphics are bright and entertaining, and the games are fun. We played Math Soccer where we “kicked” balls to answer multiplication facts. The goals were guarded by a robot goalie who caught the ball if the answer was incorrect, but we “scored” by choosing the correct answer. The game was scored and timed, but you don’t see that until the end…which is kind of great. There isn’t the pressure of a ticking clock in the corner or a percentage missed counter while you’re moving on to the next question.
As someone who isn’t extremely confident with math, I would love to have used a program like this as a child, and I wouldn’t hesitate to have my children use eSingapore Math for their math curriculum throughout elementary school.” — Naomi W., North Carolina