LEGO Education Spike Prime Homeschool Curriculum Review
SUMMARY of LEGO Education Spike Prime Homeschool Curriculum Review
- Grades: 1st – 12th
- Subjects: STEAM
- Category: Non-Religious
- Format: Project-Based Learning
- Price: Products vary
How to Use LEGO Education SPIKE Prime in Your Homeschool
The LEGO Education SPIKE Prime kit is like having a robot-making course in a box. Very cool! This kit is super helpful for teaching kids in middle school the essentials of coding and building with technology, science, and math, and the unique packaging makes it perfect for homeschoolers. Parents do not need an understanding of coding or other technical skills in order to assist their kids in enjoying a hands-on experience with building and coding technology.
So how does it work? Parents can order the SPIKE Prime set for their homeschool children and can make it a family affair. The kit comes in the mail, well packaged and contained as LEGOs typically are, in a nice plastic container. Initially, there is a bit of a setup for the parent. I found it helpful to do that portion myself since I didn’t want my middle schoolers to become frustrated at the tedious sticker application and waiting for the app to download.
If you’re not sure which kit is right for your child, LEGO Education provides an online Product Overview to assist in the decision-making process. This is very helpful.
Key benefits of LEGO Education SPIKE Prime are this:
- The kit provides everything needed to start STEAM class at home
- The kit motivates aspiring coders to fine-tune and develop their skills.
- The kits can be used to support or teach science and math concepts.
- Kids can work at their own pace and be creative.
- Convenience – students can start the classes any day, and the lessons can be accessed 24/7 from anywhere with a computer and an internet connection.
- LEGO Education provides free lesson plans and resources on their site.
- Price –if you consider this a complete course for several children the price is very budget-friendly.
- In addition, LEGO Education teamed up with popular coding and robotics platform CoderZ to feature a virtual SPIKE Prime experience, allowing students to practice their coding and STEAM skills in an entirely online setting.
Esben Stærk, president of LEGO Education, said: “It’s more important than ever to continue learning through play–wherever the learning happens. LEGO Education solutions provide playful learning experiences that not only teach important STEAM skills, but also social and emotional skills that together help build the confidence and resilience needed among students, teachers, and parents to rebuild and thrive this school year–and for years to come.”
LEGO Education Highlights
- STEAM for Primary Schoolers (Grades 1-5)- LEGO® Education WeDo 2.0 is a playful way to bring coding skills and standards-aligned lessons right into your home. The combination of the intuitive LEGO® brick system, with friendly software and block-based coding, makes hands-on STEAM learning exciting and accessible. WeDo 2.0 introduces students to science, computational thinking, and engineering principles in a fun and engaging way.
- STEAM for Middle School (Grades 6-8) – LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime unlocks STEAM learning for middle school-aged students. Continuously engage your child through playful learning activities that push thinking critically and solving complex problems. The set provides endless possibilities through the combination of colorful LEGO building elements, easy-to-use hardware, and an intuitive drag-and-drop coding language based on Scratch.
- Robotics for High School (Grades 9-12) – LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3 is a hands-on solution that allows high schoolers to practice their STEM and robotics skills in a ‘near real-world’ environment. Students experience project-based real-world applications of Python, which is considered the most common language used to teach computer science at universities. There are more than 30 standards-based lessons to draw on, and plenty of opportunities for in-depth study so you and your student can define and reach their individual goals.
LEGO Education SPIKE Prime Pros and Cons
- Makes it easier to teach coding and some aspects of science and math.
- Gives a hands-on project-based method of learning
- Courses must be downloaded.
- The online portion of courses may not suit all learning styles.
Additional Comments from LEGO Education SPIKE Prime Users
We reviewed the SPIKE Prime kit. We liked:
- That the kit had everything that was needed to teach many lessons
- The kit was designed in a way that made it easy to teach many children at once
- The courses are downloaded so internet access is a must
- The lessons are very easy to follow and intuitive for both students and parents
- The kits are affordable when considering it as a multi-level/multi-use course.