Homeschool.com’s Product Reviews
The Up-Words Reading® program is an early literacy program that teaches students to read and spell, using four key areas of instruction. The four key areas include:
- Phonological awareness – Students are taught phonological awareness, alphabetic principle, and letter-sound correspondence. With these skills, they learn to decode (read) and encode (spell) phonetic words. Explicit and systematic instruction of the skills, coupled with recurring multisensory drills, provides students with a strong phonetic foundation.
- Sight word instruction – Students are taught to recognize and spell sight words using multi-sensory methods to build a strong visual memory of the words. Students learn to recognize and read these words both in and out of context.
- Syllabication – Using systematic and explicit instruction, coupled with multi-sensory activities and drills, students learn and internalize effective strategies for reading and spelling longer words.
- High-quality literature – high-quality children’s books are woven into daily lesson plans as teacher-read stories. As students listen to and engage in stories that are read aloud, they build auditory comprehension. Additionally, the Up-Words Reading® Decodable Readers provide students an opportunity to read independently. The readers are exclusive to the program, and they are matched with target skills. Students never encounter a word they haven’t been previously taught.
What you’ll like about the Up-Words Reading® program –
- Of utmost importance, the program is effective. That’s because Up-Words Reading® uses time-proven/research-proven practices for literacy instruction.
- Up-Words Reading® is a complete early literacy program – you get everything you need to teach your child reading, writing and spelling. And you do get A LOT! For instance, in LEVEL 0, you get 399 phonic word cards and 51 readers. In LEVEL 3 you get over 700 student workbook pages! And by the way – the workbooks are great!
- Each component of the reading program works in conjunction with the others – they are truly integrated. You’ll appreciate this – as the learning process just makes sense.
- The readers follow a recurring cast of characters through linear storylines which often span multiple books. The flow is good – again, it makes sense.
- The readers are engaging. Some stories are humorous (Dad and the Dog), others are relatable (Gus at the Vet), and others teach values (One for God).
- The readers maintain vocabulary integrity – students are never asked to read a word they have not previously been taught to decode or identify. This means your child isn’t going to get “stuck” or discouraged when she comes across words she isn’t familiar with.
- The Up-Words Reading® program works in a variety of settings – at home, or in a co-op.
- You can purchase the program in a print format or as a download – whichever works best for your family. Options are always a plus!
- It’s a graduated program with levels. If you like LEVEL 0, it’s an easy transition to LEVEL 1. This means continuity for your child. And it’s good news for you – you don’t have to spend hours searching for new curriculum. I like programs that grow with my child. Don’t you?
- The company offers tutorials. That’s always a plus.
The Up-Words Reading® program offers four different and graduated levels of instruction. Because of this, at least one (if not all of the levels) will work for your child. Following, is info regarding the levels:
LEVEL 0 is designed for the first-time reader with alphabet familiarity. LEVEL 0 –
- Establishes a strong foundation of the alphabetic principle, including letter-sound correspondence for all consonant letters, short vowel sounds and consonant digraphs.
- Teaches reading and spelling through the use of multi-sensory activities and decodable readers.
- Teaches sight recognition for reading and spelling, including 40+ necessary non-phonetic sight words.
LEVEL 1 is designed for the student with a mastery of single syllable, short vowel words. LEVEL 1-
- Uses multi-sensory activities and decodable readers to teach students consonant blends, basic spelling rules, and the most common long vowel sounds and spellings.
- Establishes a foundation in syllabication for analyzing, reading and spelling multi-syllabic words.
- Introduces the most common suffixes and the concept of root words and suffixes.
- Continues multi-sensory instruction for reading and spelling of over 70 non-phonetic sight words.
LEVEL 2 teaches single syllable rule patterns while also introducing multi-syllable patterns. This level –
- Trains students to rely on their understanding of syllabication to decode multi-syllabic words.
- Teaches multiple spellings of long vowel sounds as well as vowel diphthongs.
- Continues multi-sensory instruction for reading and spelling many non-phonetic sight words.
- Builds a foundation of morphology for reading and spelling words with prefixes and suffixes, along with common spelling generalizations.
LEVEL 3 explores prefixes and suffixes while finalizing spellings of long vowel sounds. LEVEL 3 –
- Provides a detailed exploration of morphology for reading and spelling words with prefixes and suffixes.
- Provides a detailed introduction to Expressive Writing.
All of the levels include the following:
- Teacher’s Manual
- Student Workbook
- Decodable Reader Series (many books)
- Resource Kit
- Progress Manual
The Up-Words Reading® Teacher’s Manual provides step-by-step directions for the parent to walk their student through daily lesson activities. Each day’s lesson activities are carefully designed to train the student to internalize and use the phonetic code, automatically recognize sight words, and enjoy and understand high-quality literature. You can view a sample of each manual here – Level 0 Teacher Manual
Level 1 Teacher Manual Level 2 Teacher Manual Level 3 Teacher Manual
The Up-Words Reading® Student Workbooks are designed to be used in close conjunction with the Teacher’s Manual. They include a lot of info! You can view a sample of each workbook here – Level 0 Student Workbook Level 1 Student Workbook Level 2 Student Workbook Level 3 Student Workbook
The Up-Words Reading® Decodable Readers are a set of books that provide practice with each new phonetic sound and sight word introduced in the program. The readers are aligned with the specific skills targeted in each daily Up-Words Reading® lesson. In addition, age-appropriate comprehension questions are included to help home educators target memory and sequencing skills. You can view a sample of the readers here – Level 0 Decodable Reader Level 1 Decodable Reader Level 2 Decodable Reader Level 3 Decodable Reader
The Up-words Reading® Resource Kit includes all of the materials necessary to carry out daily multi-sensory drills. These include phonics cards, word cards, letter tiles and more. Homeschoolers love manipulatives!
The Up-Words Reading® Progress Manual includes weekly Progress Checks, as well as periodic Progress Assessments. With these tools, parents can monitor and track to see if their student has internalized and is using key skills. You can view sample pages here – Level 0 Progress Manual Level 1 Progress Manual Level 2 Progress Manual Level 3 Progress Manual
Teaching your child to read? With the Up-Words Reading® program you can “ignite your child’s flame of passion for reading.”