Homeschooling is the perfect place to develop a tailor-made educational plan for a special learner. In fact, more and more families are realizing this, which is why homeschooling the special needs learner is a growing niche within the homeschool world. This is exciting and we at Homeschool.com hope to be a helping hand in this endeavor. Every differently abled learner has individual learning needs that may require a certain style of teaching or a varied methodology. We can in no way provide every resource needed, but we have pulled together a collection of special needs resources that will certainly be a reference for years to come.
- Fulfill legal requirements. Each state’s legal requirements differ, and it is always a good idea to clear up any legalities before starting on your homeschool journey.
- Know Your Child. Learn all you can about his/her disability. Doing research both online and at your library can enable you to understand the best approach to teaching/learning that your family will need to follow.
- Get Support. Find support groups in person and online. This is a great way to ensure that you don’t feel isolated and alone. Find other homeschool families with a similar situation, their advice will be invaluable.
- Choose Curriculum Wisely. There are many teaching methods, curriculums, and styles that are viable means of educating; but finding what fits your child’s learning needs is paramount.
- Find Peace. Anxiety and worry are not conducive to a healthy learning environment. Children can sense this and even adopt these unhealthy emotions.