Model United Nations for HomeschoolersApril 6, 2023
Is your student interested in current affairs, government, or politics? Then you’re probably wondering how to encourage that interest and challenge them with courses and experiences that will help them find their place in the future.
It’s so important to encourage and inspire your children when they find something that they are passionate about. We often talk about “fanning the flames” and in truth, it makes a difference. But, it isn’t always easy to find the tools and resources that are required for some of our children’s interest areas.
Politics and government involvement are one of those challenging areas for homeschooling families. However, we do encourage you to find ways to give your students a real taste of what participation in that field looks like. One way to do that is to get involved in a Model UN. This past year, the team at Homeschool.com discovered an educational group that is designed to help students gain practical experience in international politics, negotiation, and international issues.
What is Model UN?
Model UN is a very popular school activity in which students role-play as United Nations delegates to simulate discussions of pressing global issues. During activities and conferences, students negotiate with other delegates and try to pass resolutions that address the issues at hand.
Model UN helps students develop skills such as research, public speaking, reading and writing, negotiation, and problem-solving, and it fosters a sense of global citizenship. Participating in Model UN is a fun and engaging way for students to develop leadership and teamwork skills.
Benefits of the Princeton Learning Experience (PLE) Model UN Program
- PLE MUN is a program that cultivates leadership development and MUN is recognized by colleges, including Ivy League colleges.
- All PLE MUN coaches are MUN experts from Ivy League colleges. PLE MUN students are inspired by these role models of true educational excellence.
- Our MUN program is a good fit for both middle and high school students, helping them grow, improve, and enter their favorite schools. We also have a MUN preparation program for upper elementary grade students.
- PLE has been working on the MUN program for several years with great success. PLE’s MUN team has received numerous awards through the years from different MUN conferences. Our high school team attended and received awards from MUN conferences including those hosted by Harvard University, Princeton University, Yale University, Columbia University, Cornell University, George Washington University, and the University of Pennsylvania. Our middle school team attended and got awards from MUN conferences hosted by prestigious high schools including Phillips Exeter Academy and UN organizations like the UN Association of Great Boston Area. Many of PLE’s MUN team members have been accepted by top US colleges and prestigious high schools.
- PLE’s online MUN classes are great for helping students receive Model UN training and inspiration from the best MUN coaches in the world.
- Although MUN is an extracurricular program, it is directly related to students’ academic progress. For example, the MUN program helps students with reading and writing through MUN committees’ background research and reading, MUN position paper, and resolution writing. In fact, some top US colleges offer the Essay contest as part of the MUN conference. PLE team members have won essay contest awards from Yale University Model UN for 3 consecutive years. Our students really get inspired by the MUN program to pursue educational excellence.
- Discover Princeton Learning Experience’s Model UN program for a summer homeschooling experience.