Most kids look forward to some version of camping during the summer. Some enjoy subject-related camps, church youth camps, family camping adventures, and others enjoy virtual learning summer camps. Whatever your kids are into, we know it can be challenging to round up the necessary funds, or even send them off by themselves. If you just can’t swing it this year, we have an alternative for you! Create your own at-home summer camp. Don’t think you can? Well, we’ve gathered supplies and created an easy-to-print kit that will help you do an at-home summer camp your kids in elementary school will love!
How to Do Summer Camp at Home
Though this may initially seem like a daunting task, you really can do this! We are here to cheer you on and help you make creating an at-home summer camp as simple as possible. We have put together an almost-all-inclusive pack to help streamline the process and make your homemade summer camp a success!
Below, you’ll find a printable pack filled with activities for kids (and some for you too!) that will get you and your family learning about and enjoying this beautiful world around us. There are four different sections with completion certificates for each, so you can officially end your at-home summer camp with an awards ceremony…and maybe a backyard camp out where your children can showcase what they have learned! Once you’re ready, gather the few necessary items you’ll need, choose your starting date, and let the fun begin!
Tips for Your At-Home Summer Camp
Now that you’re ready to jump into your at-home summer camp, think about the atmosphere you want to create. Summer camps are fun! There is always something exciting to do, and they are often an environment completely different than your child’s “normal.” Whether they are unplugged and “roughing it,” or they are immersed in history and culture, summer camp is a time of escape. Though you may be thinking this is hard to do while staying at home, it is definitely possible with a little imagination. Since your camp kit includes learning about stars, animals, plants, and outdoor skills, consider how the atmosphere in your home can be changed to boost the fun simply by rearranging furniture and/or adding different lights, music, or a few decorations.
Another thing that will help you is to create a schedule. Whether you are a Type-A, organized person and thrive on details, or you’re a more relaxed, shoot-from-the-hip type of person, a basic schedule will help maintain a camp atmosphere, keep things fresh and exciting, and keep your children engaged in the planned activities. Now, on to the activities…
Here are some additional resources you can use to supplement your at-home summer camp!
- Go Geocaching
- Stay-at-home Activities
- Summer Printable Activities
- Take up Gardening
- Activities for High School Students
- Activities for Young Children
- Try Gameschooling
- Learn about Fire Prevention
- Bug Activities
- Online STEM Summer Camp
Summer Camp At Home Printable Pack Contains:
- A Trail Guide Book – Included in this feature is all you will need to turn a basic notebook into a trail guide your children are sure to love. There are thorough instructions, section tabs, worksheets, and everything to make your little explorers a summer camp keepsake!
- Badges – Each section comes with a printable badge, so as your child masters each of the 4 areas included in your summer camp at-home kit, they earn a badge to show the world!
- Learning Activities – You’ll be amazed as your child learns to track the stars, identify animal tracks, learn which plants are edible, and how to purify water and build a fire. There are so many fun learning activities included in this kit!
- Games and Puzzles – No summer camp would be complete without time for games and brain exercises! Each section contains entertaining worksheets specific to that topic. Add an extra layer of excitement by keeping score and having some friendly competition!
- Certificates of Completion – At the end of your at-home summer camp kit, you’ll find certificates to reward your explorers for a job well done.
While we tried to include everything you might need for a successful at-home summer camp, this kit is by no means exhaustive. There are many ways you as a parent can supplement and build upon these activities to make this an even more enjoyable time and learning experience for you and your children. Take what you think will interest your children the most and run with it. With available resources such as your local library and the internet, the sky is really the limit as to what you can do!
Whether you choose to celebrate your summer camp finale with a full-on backyard camp out complete with a tent and a fire, or you celebrate by making s’mores in your kitchen, your summer camp at home is sure to be an event to remember!